Needle valve parts and usage ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JHoov

Original poster
Jan 2, 2022
Hi all, new guy here and to smoking in general. I have been searching around the forum and have a couple questions about needle valves. I think the parts I have here will make it a fairly easy install. I have MB230. I found a 1 foot lp line with 3/8 ends and a needle valve with the 3/8 flare ends. Am I correct this combo will do the trick ?
Also as I have never messed with one. Do we just open the valve to normal high/ignite position on smoker and hit the igniter then leave on high and control with NV. Or do we turn down say to normal low and then use nv to fine tune.
Thanks All

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220104-204018_Chrome~01.jpg
    Screenshot_20220104-204018_Chrome~01.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20220104-203722_eBay~01.jpg
    Screenshot_20220104-203722_eBay~01.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 20
Hi all, new guy here and to smoking in general. I have been searching around the forum and have a couple questions about needle valves. I think the parts I have here will make it a fairly easy install. I have MB230. I found a 1 foot lp line with 3/8 ends and a needle valve with the 3/8 flare ends. Am I correct this combo will do the trick ?
Also as I have never messed with one. Do we just open the valve to normal high/ignite position on smoker and hit the igniter then leave on high and control with NV. Or do we turn down say to normal low and then use nv to fine tune.
Thanks All
If you have the smoker valve after the needle valve and want to control the gas with the needle valve, the smoker valve has to be more open then the needle valve. I would just open the smoker valve all the way and control with the needle valve.

Yup, normal flow and control flame with needle valve. You may find it useful to adjust both to get a good blue flame, or not.

Reactions: JHoov
Do we just open the valve to normal high/ignite position on smoker and hit the igniter then leave on high and control with NV. Or do we turn down say to normal low and then use nv to fine tune.

I have the same smoker as do others on here. That is how I smoke. Turn on the main control , leave on high and adjust with your new needle valve.

I received my help from OldSmoke OldSmoke for my needle valve set up, as Randy has done major Mods on his and he knows better than I.
here is a link to his set up, he has many more posts on his mods .
He can help you out

David

Reactions: JHoov
The issue with low temp smokes will be the chance the flame gets blown out if you have wind. If you need to get really low for salmon or jerky, you can run the flame a bit higher and crack the lower door with the rear vent wide open.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky