Needle valve on propane smoker with odd regulator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingJoblow

Original poster
May 25, 2022
Hi guys, i'd like to install a needle valve mod on my new smoker.

The smoker is a grillpro and it seems like the regulator on this model is really odd, i added a picture of the reg..

Do you guys knownif its possible.to install a needle valve on a setup like this one

thanks for your help guys !
Screenshot_20220525-092809_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
I havent done the needle valve yet. But I have seen where folks will cut the hose midway and place the needle valve there. That is what I intend to do (when I can get more than one day off at a time)!
Jim

That's what I did on my gasser. Cut the hose insert valve and use a couple hose clamps.
I'm really new to all this can you show me a picture of what you did ?
Or even better send me a link to the accessories you need for this ?

It would be greatly appreciated

D49CE319-0CE4-4CF7-B2FD-6CCC8D2B09FD.jpeg
Your valve looks a lot like my Masterbuilt. Here you can see how I did it.

As recommended by the folks above, I would cut your hose near the tank where it is easy to reach and insert a valve. I think those hoses are 5/16”, but check the size first. You will really appreciate the improvement the needle valve gives for control.

I like this valve:

Check your hose size. Thread these into the valve with thread sealant, and insert into your hoses with hose clamps:

Oops. I think I originally did the needle valve with hose clamps, but guess I then did a more natural install as shown here..

DD435ED9-6CC3-434B-8608-FEA429416461.jpeg

most people don't realize just how low you can get the temps down to on propane smokers, but by using the needle valve you can get the burner flame down to almost nothing
works great for cold smoking sausage

Best if you have a remote thermometer. If the low flame blows out, you will have a bomb. If you set an alarm for a low temp, it should give you confidence. If the flame does go out, shut off the propane, open all the doors, and air it out before relighting.

Looks like you have many options where to put the needle valve. Just be sure that the valve is in a good place for you to easily adjust it. If you can mount it somewhere on your front panel makes it very convenient. I would pick the choice that gives the best access.

most people don't realize just how low you can get the temps down to on propane smokers, but by using the needle valve you can get the burner flame down to almost nothing
works great for cold smoking sausage?

You use heat when cold smoking sausage? If so, what kind of temps are used?

Now days, my gasser is used more often for cold smoking fish and cheese with no heat. Mr. Needle Valve sits dormant, but the days I do use it, it's great to be able to adjust down. Never have had the flame go out.......not yet.

once i get the chips to smoking i turn the gas down as low as i can get and it keeps the stack temp about 100-110

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky