needing advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

menace2sobriety

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
clarksville Tn
So as of now I still don't own a smoker. I just have a kingsford charcoal grill that I did try to smoke a brisket on last summer. the brisket came out ok but took way too long and was damn near impossible to keep the temp where I wanted it. So If been looking at different smokers for a long time and plan to use some tax return money to get me into one. Just need to find the time to go file my taxes. Any way I have gone around and around with different ones and for a long time thought I had settled on a rec tec pellet smoker, then looked at the electric vertical smokers a little and now I'm pretty sure that the one I want is the old country wrangler from academy for about $500. Im sure this question has been asked over and over but I'm just curious to see what are peoples thoughts on that smoker and are there any other good ones around that range that I may have not heard of or know of?

Welcome to this great site. For the price range of $500.00, there is no better smoker than the Wrangler. Being a stick burner, it will give you some excellent flavor cooks. The fire and heat management learning curve is a lot of fun.

Good luck in your research and good smoking, Joe. :grilling_smilie:

Hello M2S...

Yours is a tough question for others to answer, as it is mostly about personal desire and needs. There are so many different types and price levels in smokers, and it boils down to a lot of variables: budget, smoker configuration, fuel type, skill level, etc. etc. It really boils down to what the individual wants.

If you are interested in building and tending a fire for the duration of your coooks, the offset stickburner you're looking at is a good choice. For $500, it's hard to beat the build quality of those Old Country Pits. As Joe mentioned, learning how to control cooking temps through fire management is a skill that takes time and work. The payoff is, many folks think that meat smoked in a stick burner is superior to any other style of smoker.

If you're more interested in ease of use than playing with fire, I'd suggest looking at other options. There are propane, electric, and pellet smokers out there that are practically as easy to use as your kitchen oven...just turn it on and set the temp. Then there are different types of charcoal smokers that are sort of the best of both worlds...almost "set and forget" ease of use that still requires some fire maintenance, and still get that wood-fired flavor like stick burners produce.

Whatever type of cooker you choose, there will be plenty of friendly and helpful folks here at SMF who own and cook on the same rig, with the experience and knowledge to offer advice and assistance to you while you learn.

Good luck! Thumbs Up

Red

Exactly what Joe and Red said:  IMHO, stick burners/charcoal need more attention and produce a better depth of flavor.  Electrics are less tending, but they also can have their own nuances (controllers, boards, circuitry issues, etc.).  I've used nothing but charcoal and wood for the last 30+ years, and enjoy the hell out of it.  I will be installing a propane burner assembly in my old school New Braunfels once the weather breaks here, and will have that option, too. 

All have their plusses and all have their drawbacks, it's simply finding what is most important and will work best for you.  My $0.02.

hey guys thanks. Yeah Im a member on other forums and Facebook pages and I know its a broad question. I always think its funny when someone comes in and just asks what the best this or that. Or I want the best of the best but only want to spend $100 whats the best one that will do everything. I know cheap stuff aint good and good stuff aint cheap.   Im just really excited about getting my first smoker so here I am now the new guy in the arena trying to figure out whats going on. lol. I mainly am just asking to see if there are comparable cookers to that wrangler that I may have missed in my research. for a long time I looked at the pellet smokers and thought wow thats just set the temp and then I could just sit in a chair and drink beer and take a nap and presto its done. Some of those seem like really nice and versatile smokers/grills but for some reason the traditionalist in me says nope thats cheating. So after moving back to the states and going to academy and seeing that OC wrangler I feel like that is going to be the one. I know learning the cooker and what it wants is going to take time and I think that is part of the fun and probably going to make the reward the much better. Im glad to hear though that for that price range that is a really decent cooker. 

Last edited:
just out of curiosity the difference between the OC wrangler and the pecos cookers. I know they are different thickness and the dimensions are a little different, but that small amount in the thickness of the smokers is that a $100 difference or not? Im pretty broke so if for 399 I can do the same thing with the same amount of work as I can for 499 its hard to justify that extra hundred bucks.

Groucho,

Trust me I know. I saw that as soon as it went on sale and have been trying to convince the boss that now is the time to pull the trigger on this. Ive been wearing her down but its a tightrope walk of trying to get the right answer. Im shooting for the "ok if you think so" rather than the "fine do whatever you want" lol

Groucho,

Trust me I know. I saw that as soon as it went on sale and have been trying to convince the boss that now is the time to pull the trigger on this. Ive been wearing her down but its a tightrope walk of trying to get the right answer. Im shooting for the "ok if you think so" rather than the "fine do whatever you want" lol
she is very smart and knows me all to well. So basically she knows that spring is right around the corner and Im gonna want some new fishing gear and that I put off buying a new bait caster for christmas that I haven't forgotten about. but i can't complain too much she takes pretty darn good care of me and keeps me out of trouble. 

I get it, and you've got to keep the peace, but:

1. Clearance. Gone, it's gone, and unsure who else in your area may have it.
2. See if store mgr. will work with you on floor model. Can't hurt.
3. Better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.:biggrin:
4. Blame it on some guy you just met on the Internet. :sausage:

No, wait: scratch 4. You'll be headed for divorce court or she'll have you sent to the looney bin.

Oh dang! the boss just came home from work and after a little pushing i think it sounds like it might go down today! She is checking the budget and seeing if we can pull it off. We got to go grocery shopping so Im gonna see if we can swing by academy on the way to sams club. I mean we drive right past it anyway sooooo..... 

More to follow. Ill update as this breaking story advances. wish me luck

DON'T COME HOME EMPTYHANDED!!!!          
sausage.gif

Oh dang! the boss just came home from work and after a little pushing i think it sounds like it might go down today! She is checking the budget and seeing if we can pull it off. We got to go grocery shopping so Im gonna see if we can swing by academy on the way to sams club. I mean we drive right past it anyway sooooo..... 

More to follow. Ill update as this breaking story advances. wish me luck
Good Luck!

So this just happened. trying to decide if i want to try to season it tonight or wait till tomorrow. When i season it do I need to rub down the fire box too or just inside the cooking area? Also is it a bad idea to cook on it during that time or should i just run it empty first?

Reactions: mike5051
ATTABOY!!!  
Congratulations.gif

Floor model?  Did they work with you on the price, or did $439 take it?  Regardless, good for you:  your missus will be benefiting from this also, if you have to remind her. 

No need to season the firebox, unless you really want to.  Run it empty at full throttle to get rid of any residual cutting oils that may be present.  I'd also recommend oiling (canola, veg, etc.) the outside of both cook chamber and firebox before seasoning:  can help prevent rust down the road, and I do mine from time to time.  Once you have a chance to run it a few times, keep an eye for excessive smoke (thus heat) loss coming from places other than the top of the stack.  One of the longtime members here just did a test on his homemade upright by choking offf the stack and seeing where exactly smoke was leaking.  Common culprits on offset horizontals are the lids and where the firebox ties into the cook chamber, but not to worry:  there are many ways to cure.  Look up "horizontal smoker modifications", and you'll see countless different ideas and suggestions to keep your temps constant, keep smoke flowing inside the unit, etc., and don't be hesitant to ask.  Many good smokes await you:  good luck!!

thanks mike, Im so stoked right now. I can't wait to use it. Im going to make some ribs tomorrow on my old charcoal grill and i'll season the smoker while I'm doing that. So we'll see how that all plays out but thats the plan for tomorrow. 

Groucho, nah they only had two left and my local academy will not fool around with prices on stuff. so I got it for the 435 or what ever it was. before christmas I bought a dehydrated from them and the last one they had was a display and they would not budge. I also ask them for a military discount every time and they don't do that either.

Somewhat surprising that they wouldn't offer you any type of military discount, given that they started in the Houston area as an army/navy surplus store:  thank you for your service.  Regardless, I think you're really going to enjoy this immensely--here's a link that you may want to look at also for some pretty inexpensive, basic modifications that will help your cooks significantly.  Different make and model shown, but the principles are the same.  Welcome to the addiction, amigo!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/75110/horizonal-offset-smoker-mods

Last edited:
Reactions: menace2sobriety
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky