Needing a new smoker...talk me out of going pellet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Three B's

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2020
Charlotte, NC
My Smoke Hollow 44 has treated me well over the past 9 years. 6 moves and 3 states it's taken a beating and continues to pump out amazing food. But, it has been beat up a bit and parts are wearing out so it's time for me to get something new. I do utilize the large capacity so that's a must and I was thinking about switching over to the dark side and going pellet style this time. I'd love a Yoder but $2K is not happening so probably the RecTeq 700 or Camp Chef Woodwind 36.

Appealing part is the ease and the fact that I could go from a Weber Grill and SH Smoker to One unit. My concern is smoke flavor, we enjoy heavy smoke flavor that I can achieve with the propane unit. I've read that pellets don't give the food much more than a light Smokey flavor. Anyone have or tried both? What's the truth?

Ha, I could talk you into pellet grill. I wouldnt talk you out of one

My concern is smoke flavor, we enjoy heavy smoke flavor

If you want heavy smoke flavor, then a pellet grill is probably not the right choice. You could add supplemental smoke device like a tube or tray, but that probably still won't get you there. Have you ever tasted food cooked on a pellet grill? If not, then I suggest you try before you buy. Some places that sell cookers will have events where they will cook food for you to try.
I prefer the lighter taste I get with pellets, but if you are used to a strong upfront smoke taste, it's likely you wouldn't even taste any smoke.

Talk you out of going pellet? Hmmm, well a guy I know put his brisket on to smoke one summer day. He then left to cross town and play a couple of rounds of golf. While he was gone a breaker tripped in his house and his pellet grill lost power. It was too late by the time he got home to fix things (and didn't want to try to recook for safety reasons) and lost a whole lot of meat. Don't let this happen to you! :emoji_anguished:

Reactions: Three B's
I would never talk you out of going pellet. But I would talk you out of only owning one grill. Personally I have a Recteq RT-700 and love it. It tends to be my weekday cooker. There are ways to get more smoke flavor from a pellet grill that have been mentioned by others. What I usually do is start my cook at the lowest setting for 30 minutes to an hour then bump the heat up. That usually helps. but don't expect to get the same smoke flavor as a traditional smoker or a kettle. My point after this long ramble, is that a pellet grill is a great addition to a collection. but, if I had to choose only one grill I would go with something else.

If you want heavy smoke flavor, then a pellet grill is probably not the right choice. You could add supplemental smoke device like a tube or tray, but that probably still won't get you there. Have you ever tasted food cooked on a pellet grill? If not, then I suggest you try before you buy. Some places that sell cookers will have events where they will cook food for you to try.
I prefer the lighter taste I get with pellets, but if you are used to a strong upfront smoke taste, it's likely you wouldn't even taste any smoke.

This - 100%

Appealing part is the ease and the fact that I could go from a Weber Grill and SH Smoker to One unit. My concern is smoke flavor, we enjoy heavy smoke flavor that I can achieve with the propane unit. I've read that pellets don't give the food much more than a light Smokey flavor. Anyone have or tried both? What's the truth?

I'm not sure about ditching the grill. I never pull my pellet pooper (PitBoss 440D) out to grill with. Then again it probably has the smallest "grilling zone" amongst pellet smokers ( I wish I had a bigger smoker). I do smoke steaks, pork chops, etc, then reverse sear them on the grill zone for the last 15-20°. Certainly other makes and models offer a bigger grill zone but I'm not sure any are a true replacement for an actual grill, OOMV. ;) Easy setup? Yup. Huge smoke flavor... no... I wouldn't say so, but I've never owned a stick burner. You can get more smoke using a lower temp setting setting which works for longer cook times, not so much for chicken unless you want leather skin. All that said, mine is a pretty entry level model and results may vary :emoji_wink:

I'm not sure about ditching the grill. I never pull my pellet pooper (PitBoss 440D) out to grill with.

I agree, most pellet smokers do not make very good grills. The exception that I know of is the PG500/1000, which does a great job at both. If you really only want one outdoor cooker, that's what I would look at. Also, the Masterbuild gravity series, or even a good old Weber kettle like the 26".

^^^^^^^^
If you're looking for more flavor than pellets you need to check out the MB Gravity Flow series.
I add wood chunks to the ash bin and the hopper to produce nice, constant smoke.

I agree on the gravity fed smoker. The new Char-Griller gravity fed looks nice especially for the money. i'm happy with my Weber Smokefire it produces much more smoke than my Grilla Silverback did and the temp goes up to 600 so it functions pretty well as a grill also. It's my go to during the week. I'll mess with charcoal grills and my offset on the weekend when I have more time.

Last edited:
Multiple threads on the same subject?
Eh
Why don't you get a new gasser? It has served you well and they don't last forever. Same auto for 9 years?

If I had only one it would be an offset with a charcoal tray in the cook chamber.

Reactions: NoCoPK360
Thanks for the feedback. I've not had anything cooked on a pellet smoker yet. Only mine, an electric, and a Komado.

I looked into some the offsets but I don't know if I am up for tending the fire that closely. I don't want a set it and forget it completely but I have many time started the smoker and went back to bed for a couple of hours.

Why not another propane...just interested in a new challenge really. At the end of the day I might be buying another one though.

I agree, most pellet smokers do not make very good grills. The exception that I know of is the PG500/1000, which does a great job at both. If you really only want one outdoor cooker, that's what I would look at. Also, the Masterbuild gravity series, or even a good old Weber kettle like the 26".
I had to look up the PG500/1000, those are some serious machines!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky