Need your advice.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

graywolf1936

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Northern California
I bought a Traeger Jr. and is working out just fine.  Most of the time I am smoking/grilling for 3-5 people.  I have some birthday parties coming up early spring and summer and will have 25-30 folks for my wife 75th birthday.  I done this before and pretty much got my act together. Now my question, one item I will be making is pulled Beef Bar-B-Q.  If I put, say 8-9 lbs of sirloin in the smoker for about 3 hours then move it to the oven will I get the smoke flavor I want?. This will free up the smoker for other items.

Interesting question?

Yes, I sometimes give meat some time to gain smoke flavor and finish it off other ways?

On the other hand?  For "pulling beef", sirloin would not be my choice.

Good luck and good smoking.

Sirloin / tri tip doesn't have enough marbling and fat interwoven in the fibers of the meat to pull apart in my opinion. As it continues to cook up to temps suitable for typical pulling of meats, a steak will just dry out unlike a brisket.

Tri tip is best served as medium-rare sliced. I've actually never done tri tip, but have read plenty about it since I am planning to do one next Monday. And I have already purchased the meat for my smoke next week and it seems a bit too lean for pulling...

One thought would be to maybe smoke a true 'beef roast' for a couple of hours until it reaches 140*, then place it in a pan covered in foil and braise it until it is tender enough to pull. This may give you a smokey 'pulled beef roast'.

That would be quicker than cooking a brisket...

Last edited:
Sorry, I may not have made my post clear. I do a "pulled beef" a few time a year for backyard parties.  However I would do it on top of the stove, cook it until it falls apart, add a "little" B-B-Q sauce, it make a great sandwich with coleslaw on a crusty roll.  I though smoking would add some flavor.  As for Tri-Tip, they are great, I do them about twice a month. Like stated, best done medium rare, wrap in tin foil prior to slicing.  If you have any left over, steak and eggs is a good way to use them up.

If what you are worried about is getting smoke flavor in the meat, smoking it for a couple of hours before bringing it inside should get smoke in the meat.  As one stated above, meat stops taking smoke after a certain point.  The first 3-4 hours on the smoker are the most important for a smoke.

If you use oak or hickory, they are stronger woods and will be more noticeable.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky