Need some more help please.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

domn8_ion

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Okay, I'm still working on my fridge conversion. I finally found expanded metal for the grates themselves. But I was wondering if aluminum is safe? I can't weld, so it will be all nuts and bolts. Mainly worried about health concerns and structural integrity.

I hope aluminum is safe between beer can chicken and wrapping things in foil, a lot of aluminum goes through my cooker.

IMHO...Steel nuts/bolts and aluminum are a bad combo...in that a galvanic reaction will be set up between the two dissimilar metals causing quick corrosion and failure. Especially in a moist, salty environment.

My racks are all steel expanded. But then again, I had 'em welded too. But if you can find alum. bolts, or maybe a stainless bolt/nut combo, heck I dunno if even that would be OK.

I asked the same question about the ABT rack I made out of aluminum. Then I stopped and thought about my grill. Thats aluminum and the bolts and screws in that are made of steel, and I'm still alive. My abt rack is made out of a piece of aluminum and like you I don't have a welder so I screwed the legs on that. I've made a butt load of ABT's on it & I'm doing ok. Just my 2 cents.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky