Need some advice on smokehouse placement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Boneyard

Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
I've been smoking now for a few years. Started with one of those basic charcoal, vertical cylinder type smokers. Then my uncle gave me a charcoal grill with a small smoker box on the side. I've grown comfortable using the shitty grill, and i can get a killer smoke on meats. I need more room for more meat and I'm thinking of building a smoke house. My biggest issue is the wind.. where I live, it's windy pretty often. I need help on which direction I should position the opening of the firebox. I was thinking either perpendicular, or opposite the usual wind direction. I also have the option of putting up a fence around the entire thing. I just didn't want to spend that much money.. attached are a few picks of some of my smoker jobs

Attachments

• 20171005_184103.jpg
    20171005_184103.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20170314_192340.jpg
    20170314_192340.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20170314_194040.jpg
    20170314_194040.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 35
With ZERO EXPERIENCE my opinion would be to protect the incoming vent so a gust or overly windy day wouldn't change everything on you.
I've become very comfortable knowing exactly how much to open/close my vents to get particular temps.
My thinking is that the vent into the fire box should be the best protected. Controling the air to the fuel allows the best temp control. You don't want a windy day to feed more air to your fire box.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky