Need some advice on “holding” a Turkey in a yeti after smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

silverlabdad

Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
Any tips for “holding” Turkey?

In a big dilemma here. I was asked to smoke a Turkey for tomorrow and I have to be there at 5 pm. However, the wife and I have to be at another dinner at 1 pm.

I was given a 23 lb Turkey (not ideal I know) so last night I spatchcocked it and the Turkey is currently sitting in a wet brine.

My dilemma here is transport time? I was planning on pulling the Turkey around 9:30 am and immediately putting foil over it and placing it in a yeti with additional towels around it.

Is this too long to “hold” a Turkey for? With going in the yeti around 930/10 am and dinner not until 5 pm?

I've never done it, but I think 7 hours is pushing it. Maybe not from a safety standpoint but depending on what your brined it with it could affect the taste and texture. I do know one thing. Crispy skin is out of the question. Are the two parties close enough to each other and you where you can put some smoke to the bird and then drop it off at the house to finish cooking in the oven? Someone else will hopefully chime in with more experience in holding turkeys.

Chris

I've never done it, but I think 7 hours is pushing it. Maybe not from a safety standpoint but depending on what your brined it with it could affect the taste and texture. I do know one thing. Crispy skin is out of the question. Are the two parties close enough to each other and you where you can put some smoke to the bird and then drop it off at the house to finish cooking in the oven? Someone else will hopefully chime in with more experience in holding turkeys.

Chris
Unfortunately the locations are 2 hours away from each other. Would I be able to put the Turkey in the other locations oven on “warm and hold” for a few hours to keep the temp up on the Turkey? Or would that run the risk of drying it out. At this point all I care about is from a safety standpoint bc this was thrown on me last minute.

Not a lot of good options here, and time is running out. If it were me. I think I would cook the turkey until the breast meat hits 155* to 160*. Double wrap immediately with aluminum foil and place it in a pan. Then put the pan in your cooler and cover with towels. When you reach the first party. Place the turkey still foiled in the oven set to its lowest setting usually around 170*. Between the carry-over cooking and the additional oven time the turkey should be fully cooked by the time you leave the first party. Repeat the process when you leave the first party for the second party. Your turkey should still be safe. Just make sure you have a goodly amount of gravy because it may dry out a bit. Not ideal but it should get you something edible. Maybe someone else will chime in with a better idea. The reason I say 155* to 160* for the breast is because you'll be past the danger zone for outside bacteria while still giving yourself a chance for semi-moist meat.
Again I'm not a food safety expert by any means and I don't want to give you bad advice. I think this will work, but I cannot guarantee it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Chris

I'm with Chris on this one... Not sure at all about the safety part of it... ESPECIALLY for the cooler only trip... Now the oven idea might could work... It would depend on the availabilty of the oven at each destination

The only other option I see is to fully cook the turkey. Pack in the cooler with blue ice and put it in the fridge at the first party. Then reheat it at the second party.

Chris

The only other option I see is to fully cook the turkey. Pack in the cooler with blue ice and put it in the fridge at the first party. Then reheat it at the second party.

Chris
What would be the best way to reheat at the second party? And how long do you think that would take?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I had to work today. How'd it turn out?

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky