Need input on a smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indycolt13

Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Eloy, Arizona
I am looking to buy a smoker for making smoked sausage, summer sausage, snack sticks, etc.  I am really hung up on what will work best.  Other than the obvious differences between electric, propane and charcoal, what seems to work best.  I have done a ton of reading and there are several pros and cons to each.  Propane and charcoal won't quit if there is a power outage.  Charcoal is harder to monitor.....you all know the basics.  What brand names and types seems to work best for what I want to use it for.  For jerky I use a dehydrator, so that doesn't even concern me.  I am not wanting to spend more than $200 to $300 if possible.  Please advise.

Last edited:
  Hi Indy. I would say that it depends on the quantity you intend to smoke. For 5-10 pounds I would go with electric. For 25-50+ I would build a wooden smokehouse and maybe use a propane burner for heat.  For small batches electric ( with an AMNPS) gives you better temp control. Just some more food for thought
icon_lol.gif

Mike

Reactions: indycolt13
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky