Need Help WIth Trimmed Brisket.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eruceht

Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Richmond, KY
Have a friend who raises beef cattle and I had him save me the brisket from a beef he sold and had butchered for a family member. He knew nothing about briskets so I told him to tell the butcher I wanted the whole brisket. When I picked it up from him today it was in to pieces so I knew they had separated the point from the flat but I said nothing to him because he was not charging me for it. When I got home and unwrapped it I discovered that not only had they separated the point from the flat but had completely removed all the fat! I mean not a trace of fat is to be found at all. I have no idea what to do with this thing, is there anyway to smoke it without completely drying it out?   

I've had this happen twice , ordered  one and didn't tell the butcher to not trim it

try  putting some bacon strips on it in the smoker

inject with apple juice or some mixture

foil it around 160

save all the juice you can

make sure you wrap it and let it rest for a while

when you slice pour the juice over it

when you get a chance ,stroll over to roll call and introduce yourself , a lot of great guys here with a lot of helpful

knowledge

And welcome
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I would cook it in a foil pan on the smoker  .That way you can lay bacon on the top and add some liquid to the pan. Seal the pan w/ heavy foil at 160 and take it up to your finished temp.

You may want to flip the brisket in the pan after a few hours so that both sides get some smoke.

You won't get great bark cooking w/ this method ,but you won't be eating  dry brisket either.

I would add some of this to the pan at the start of the cook along with some onion to help keep it moist

I is in the same section where steak sauces are found in the stores around here. It is called Jonnies Au Jus and is very good 

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm letting them thaw now and will marinate for a couple of days. Being farm raised they still should be quite good.

The most important thing is keeping the brisket moist.

Most of us just season brisket w/ salt , fresh cracked black pepper ,some garlic and onion powders if ya want. rub it the night before you smoke it and let it sit in the fridge. never have marinaded ,But it may help retain a little moisture.

The most important thing is keeping the brisket moist.

Most of us just season brisket w/ salt , fresh cracked black pepper ,some garlic and onion powders if ya want. rub it the night before you smoke it and let it sit in the fridge. never have marinaded ,But it may help retain a little moisture.
Retaining some of the moisture was what I was hoping for by marinading. Anyway it can't hurt. What do you think of letting it smoke for a couple of hours before placing it in the foil pan? With the bacon on it of course, moping and flipping it once. I was thinking it might get a little more smoke and better bark.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky