Need help with chimney lenght on unique compressor smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

busmania

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 10, 2015
Centennial, co
I am making a somewhat unique upright smoker.  I want this to burn wood like an offset smoker does and not "smolder charcoal" like a uds or weber smokey mountain does.  It is my understanding I will need an exhaust of some sort rather than just an air adjustment on the top. 

specs - 60 gallon compressor (20" diameter x 48" length).  17 x 17 x 19 firebox.

Can you help me with the length of stacks?   Currently I have 4.25" inside diameter pipe but am more than willing to buy a new size if need be.  I want it to be right!  I have a general idea based on feldons calc but am I wrong in thinking that because it is vertical, it already has somewhat of a natural draft due to heat rising...thus needing less of an exhaust?  Please help?!?

Overall design

Internal design

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky