Need help on first full packer brisket.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gitaryzt1985

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
I’ve been smoking brisket flats for years on a Webber Kettle with good results, but I’ve got a big party coming up and want to try a full packer and try my hand at burnt ends. I’ve got two questions so I wasn’t sure where to drop this thread. Here goes!

1. Should I split the flat and point so that I get more bark on the burnt ends? Will this dry out the flat? I’m thinking it might be easier to separate given my issue in question 2.

2. I plan to smoke on either my new Weber Smokey Mountain 18” or my Pit Barrel Cooker. I love the PBC for the ease and flavor, but if I split the flat and point, I could put each one on its own tier. Seems like a packer may be snug in either one unless I hang it on the PBC.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Split or no split, and WSM or PBC and why!

I've split the flat and point and haven't noticed any issue with the flat drying out. I think the key is to leave the fat that separates the two pieces on the flat side, so it stays protected. Most folks I know don't separate, but if you are going to make burnt ends out of the whole point, you will get more bark if you split them.

Reactions: gitaryzt1985
I've split the flat and point and haven't noticed any issue with the flat drying out. I think the key is to leave the fat that separates the two pieces on the flat side, so it stays protected. Most folks I know don't separate, but if you are going to make burnt ends out of the whole point, you will get more bark if you split them.

Thanks! I just realized that if I split them, I can use the half rack on the PBC to hang the flat and let the point sit on the rack. That might be the ticket for space management lol.

hmm...Never split a FP till after it was cooked. Flats are not all that easy to do separate - like you that is where I started, but the FP is much easier and I would leave it whole. IMO,

Not really advocating a right or wrong answer... But for me if I was doing it planning on making burnt ends from the point, I would cook the packer whole until the flat was cooked to desired tenderness, Then separate the point from the flat. (A whole lot easier) Then continue with the point to make your burnt ends as you would normally would cube and pan, etc. I think this way whole is better for moisture control.

Depending on the size of your packer you may get the whole thing to fit in your WSM 18 by placing a foil wrapped brick in the middle of your smoker and draping the packer over it in an arched manner.
As you pointed out, you could also hang it...

The fat seam between the point and flat is somewhat horizontal. If you separate EXACTLY along that natural seam after cooking, then it does expose some more area that will not have formed bark on it. But consider just making a clean vertical cut slice several inches in from the point end to separate the point from the flat. Yes, you will have some intersection of some portion of point and flat near the but cut on both pieces, but don't sweat it.

If draping over a brick or hanging does not suit you then splitting the point/flat ahead of time is only logical. The benefit of that is that you can control the doneness independently of each other as well as more bark.

Not really advocating a right or wrong answer... But for me if I was doing it planning on making burnt ends from the point, I would cook the packer whole until the flat was cooked to desired tenderness, Then separate the point from the flat. (A whole lot easier) Then continue with the point to make your burnt ends as you would normally would cube and pan, etc. I think this way whole is better for moisture control.

Depending on the size of your packer you may get the whole thing to fit in your WSM 18 by placing a foil wrapped brick in the middle of your smoker and draping the packer over it in an arched manner.
As you pointed out, you could also hang it...

The fat seam between the point and flat is somewhat horizontal. If you separate EXACTLY along that natural seam after cooking, then it does expose some more area that will not have formed bark on it. But consider just making a clean vertical cut slice several inches in from the point end to separate the point from the flat. Yes, you will have some intersection of some portion of point and flat near the but cut on both pieces, but don't sweat it.

If draping over a brick or hanging does not suit you then splitting the point/flat ahead of time is only logical. The benefit of that is that you can control the doneness independently of each other as well as more bark.

Maybe I’ll keep it whole then. I’ll buy one under 15 lbs and try to keep it small enough to lay flat in the PBC.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky