Need help identifying hickory tree

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MRTJBIGA

Original poster
Jan 25, 2024
Hi everyone just got into smoking and This log was given to me months ago ,but never asked the person what type of hickory it is, This was very tasty with pork butt ,Any info is appreciated, thanks ....

(Edit) , i live in west Georgia . was giving to me by a neighbor

Attachments

• 20231213_135443.jpg
    20231213_135443.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Somebody who knows trees better than me will be by with your answer but the type of Hickory is not really as important as the type of Oak is. From a cooking wood standpoint Oak is more variable than Hickory.
I've never seen anyone question what kind of pecan their wood is and there are several kinds of pecan and all are related to Hickory.
Be happy and content you have some good Hickory to cook with and place your quest to categorize the variety of Hickory way down the list.

My best guess as to the type of Hickory you have is Pignut.

Welcome to the forum and have fun learning, cooking, and eating the results.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRTJBIGA
Slick bark hickory/pignut, good wood but love shag bark more, I use the bark when grilling, gives slow cooked flavor to grilled foods.

Reactions: MRTJBIGA
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky