Need advice on how to keep BBQ for a week?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pyre

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 19, 2006
Moberly, MO
I'm going on a float trip in two weeks, and I'd love to take a big batch of pulled pork with me.

The only time I'll have to cook it up will be the weekend before, so I'm wondering what I might have to do to keep the pork good for a week until we are ready to eat?

I'm thinking that refridgeration might not be enough to keep it for a week, so freezing is probably my best option.

Should I pull it and freeze it for a week? Leave it whole and freeze it, reheat then pull the night before? Finishing sauce before freezing?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s how I would handle it. I would pull it all, save ALL juices. I would get some 1 gallon Zip Lock bags and distribute the pork/juice evenly into as many bags as it takes. Zip the bags until almost closed, squeeze out as much air as possible, finish the zip (seal the bag). Then lay the bag flat and “pat†it to make it evenly thick, and to get the meat “swimming†in the juice. Freeze it flat, so that you can stack them evenly in your cooler. Have a fun trip!!

pull it, vacuum seal it, and freeze it.

Get those freezer blue packs, and even a cheap styro box (shipper place I've used) and your good to go.

I have kept stuff forzen for 4 days without opening, but cold enough for safe food storage for 8 days.

But keep the box out of the sun, and eat it no later than day 6, just to be safe

A vacuum seal would be ideal. I guess I didn't think of that because I don't own one. My Dad has one and uses it for storing the bulk meats he buys from Sam's as well as his smokes...

What BBQ can last more than one day?! It never does at my house. ;) In the past I have done just that heat, pack in vacuum bags, freeze, consumed mass quantities of adult beverages and then took it out and placed in a crock pot and tada it is good as the day I made it.

JMack- A nice feature of using vacuum seal bags is the ease of reheating. Just drop an unopened bag into a pot of boiling water, let it boil for 10-15 minutes-open the bag and serve.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky