Need advice for painting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

apachepunchbbq

Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
Hi all,

I am currently restoring an old pit I got from someone and need some advice on painting.

I have read that when applying paint on the pit, smoker box and fire box, the pit needs to be warm when I do it, is this true?

I have a reverse-flow design and it is in desperate need of a new convection plate, when I get that installed, does that need to be painted or treated in any  way? 

Thanks for the input everyone

Josh

Apache,

A lot of guys use Rustoleum hi-temp paint. Either rattle can or brush your choice. Follow directions on the can.

When you replace your RF plate I would clean the entire cook chamber and season it with canola oil or bacon fat. There will be some nasties left over from the welding/ grinding.

Best Wishes

RG

Reactions: apachepunchbbq
I used VHT Hi Temp and don't bother with the firebox, just spray that with a little oil when done using it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky