Need advice for my cinderblock cold smoker Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just wondered. If you do not need the extra height, just set it on the ground and skip the blocks. Mine is heavy also. I hope that I don't ever move it again. If I were to move I would probably just build a new one that I could either hot of cold smoke in.

Now I need the height. If I would have known what I know now when I started...I would have built it differently.
Hindsight is wonderful. lol!

Cowgirl

Looks like a nice project. I'd definately seal the outside of the smokehouse to protect it from the elements. Even concrete will crumble after a time without a sealer. Being a cold smoker I'd think a standard sealer for concrete block from the hardware store will work fine without leaching into the food. I'd consider aluminum flashing between the wood and the block. You could do that easy enough by just folding a length equal to the side folding it in half and nailing a strip of wood over it near the bottom and maybe running a bead od chalking on the top inside egde of the board.

Thanks Debi!
icon_smile.gif

I have my flashing on hand. Are you saying I should put the sealer on before the stucco or fieldstone?

Yep. But it's kinda overkill. The stucco/stone will keep the elements off the block.

that flashing will extend over the topof the blocks, I assume?

The blocks will be capped off with concrete, and I will put the flashing between the concrete and the wood. I'm thinking it might protect the wood.
So you think a sealer first would be overkill?

I've built things with wood, but I have not messed around with cement or stucco much at all.
confused.gif

Hey Cowgirl, no disrespect to the other's, but being a contractor, skip the sealer, mesh and all that chit, grab yourself a bag of ready mix mortar from Depot, mix it to a peanut butter consistency and spread on your block. That will adhere to the block and protect it from the element's.
If your gonna do stone, then skip this, but seems a lot of work for a smoker. The flashing would be a good idea just so the shack doesn't rot sitting on the block.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Any more construction question's, shoot me a P.M..........glad to help ya out if i can.
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

bbq bubba....thank you very, very much!!!
I appreciate your input and your help!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Well Cowgirl, there is more than one way to skin a rat! (or skim a block) if it is not too late.

First off, I would have laid them with mortar, but dry stack is what you have so lets go from there. There is actually a range of products for applying to plain old dry stack that are supposed to contain reinforcing fibers that are supposed to turn dry stacked block into a structurally rated assembly. Never used them myself though, but I know a couple of guys that swear by it. Basically the stuff is applied like a parge coat or stucco scratch coat and allowed to dry. Then any masonary finish (Stucco) or paint or water proofing can be applied to that. I am with bubba on leaving out the metal lath for such a small project, just put a light "scratch" into the dry stack coating and apply your finish coat right to that if you are going with a true finish coat and not just using the parge coat itself as the finish.

Brick and stone veneers, real or phaux, are another good choice. Engineered products have come along ways!

I would paint, stain, seal or otherwise protect your exterior wood srtucture to some degree. I am a construction worker, carpenter at heart and have a great afinity for wood. But the simple truth is that the only time that wood does well outside is when it is still living as a tree.

Thank you for the advice Zapper!
smile.gif

I already did the dry stack method of running rebar through every other hole and filling them with quickcrete. The other holes are filled with dirt. Then the whole top is capped off.
If the thing were larger, I probably would have used mortar.

Then I followed bubba's instructions and did two thin layers of mortar on the outside of the base. It turned out pretty well....especially for my first time. lol I have not painted it or anything, it's just plain mortar right now.

I have treated the outside of the wood with a clear, weather sealer....heck, I can't think of what it's called right now.
confused.gif

I had one firebox made out of 20" pipe, but the lid was so heavy, I couldn't even get it opened.
Now I have one made out of 1/4 of a barrel.........It should be easier for me to handle.
I'm still in the middle of attaching the firebox and pipe to the base......I put a baffle/valve in the pipe for more smoke control.

The last 3 weeks have been too busy for me to get anything accomplished on it.
I had planned on having it up and running by November.........huh... so much for that plan!
icon_mrgreen.gif

I sure do appreciate your input......now that I know you work construction, I'll be bugging both you and bubba for advice on my projects.
icon_mrgreen.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky