Need advice for my cinderblock cold smoker Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 2, 2007
Oklahoma
I'm not sure where to post this or if this is something I should even post on a smoke forum.....it's more of a construction question.

I am working on my cold smoker base.....the base is made of concrete blocks. I am using the dry stack method.......(use rebar, stack dry and fill some of the holes with concrete.....)
I would like to finish the outside of the blocks...probably with stucco.

Here is my question, do I layer/paint something onto the blocks, some sort of sealer first...or do I go ahead and stucco right onto the blocks?

Any help or advice would be welcome.
smile.gif
Thank you!

This is a dry run picture of the base to give you an idea of the size....
These pictures are not current, I have started on my smoke box and pipe to the base. The black hole in the base is where the smoke is piped in.

Last edited:
No expert here, but they put this thin metal lathe up for like fake fieldstone and wet plaster work. I think stucco is quite similar. Hmm the fake fieldstone would look cool on that too! Known as "lick 'em and stick 'em's" in the trade.
The lathe is secured with either a ramset or concrete pins with washers to hold it .

Hmmm, fake field stone. I'm not familiar with that. I suppose it looks like the real stuff only lighter in weight?
Thanks for your help too Richtee.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I thought you had to put a wire mesh on the blocks first (at least with houses), I don't believe the blocks need sealed or anything, just the mesh.

Yep..it's manufactured. I have it on the front of my house. most all new construction ya see with fieldstone is this stuff. hard to discern 'twixt it and real, actually.

Thank you Joe, that's what I wondered. Just use the mesh and stucco right on the blocks.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Yeah, I know.............but hey, I thought we established in a different thread a while back that neither one of us read all the posts before we get to typing. LOL

Cowgirl,

I did find this also...........not to say that you can't do your own search, here it is FWIW

Stucco a Masonry or Concrete Wall

To apply stucco to an existing brick, block or concrete wall, first brush a concrete bonding agent onto the wall, then allow it to dry completely. After the bonding agent has been allowed to dry, the stucco can be applied directly to the wall. The application of the stucco should begin with a scratch coat, a 1/4 to 1/2 inch layer of mortar which is applied directly to the structure and allowed to slightly harden. After the mortar has hardened slightly, it should be scratched to a depth of 1/8" and allowed to harden for between 36 and 48 hours, periodically misting the surface to keep it moist.

After the curing period has passed, a finish coat can be applied. The finish coat will be between 1/8" to 1/4" thick. The finish coat can be finished to the desired texture, then allowed to cure for another 36 to 48 hours, with periodic misting to keep the surface moist.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/applyingstucco

Ritchtee I'm going to look into the fabricated fieldstone, see what options they offer. Thank you for the idea.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

I have regular bricks on hand....but do not want to go to the trouble of bricking the bottom. I think I'd like the fieldstone or stucco better.

Thank you for the info Joe!
I am not familiar with concrete bonding agents. Maybe I should go to the hardware store and browse. lol

Wow Richtee, that looks great... they look like real rock too!
Did you do the work?

Yea......now you have me thinking in a different direction. I need to go to the nearest lumberyard/hardware store. See what my options are.
icon_biggrin.gif

LOL! No Richtee.......that's actually my favorite store! LOL!
They even send me birthday cards!
icon_biggrin.gif

Cowgirl, What are you trying to accomplish by setting your existing smoke house on blocks?

goat, I'm not accomplishing anything. lol The original plan was to make a portable smoke box to set on my cinderblock pig cooking pit. Something I could move around and set up when needed.
Then after I finished the box, I decided I needed a place to keep it out of my way when not in use.
The thing is heaaaaaavy....so me moving it around when I need it is not an option anymore. lol
I ended up buying more cement blocks and I'm just going to set it up out of my way and make it permanent.

It's one of those projects that didn't turn out exactly like I had planned.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky