Need Advice: Can't find NFDM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wnctracker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
Western North Carolina
I have checked 4 local grocery stores for the last 2 weeks and can't get ahold of NFDM locally. I'm making brats and always have used NFDM to help hold some fat in since they're half venison half pork. I've never tried it without the NFDM and frankly the brats are so dang good that I don't want to...but I also don't want to keep waiting to make them because it's grilling season!!

1.) Is there a good sub that would serve the same purpose without changing flavor?
2) Should I make them without the NFDM or any substitute, or would that change the brat too much?

You might have to order it through a butcher/sausage supplier due to the damn panic buying of the general public.

I have checked 4 local grocery stores for the last 2 weeks and can't get ahold of NFDM locally. I'm making brats and always have used NFDM to help hold some fat in since they're half venison half pork. I've never tried it without the NFDM and frankly the brats are so dang good that I don't want to...but I also don't want to keep waiting to make them because it's grilling season!!

1.) Is there a good sub that would serve the same purpose without changing flavor?
2) Should I make them without the NFDM or any substitute, or would that change the brat too much?
I don't know of a substitute except for maybe soy protein concentrate, but I don't know everything ;-)
I don't know that NFDM actually affects the flavor but like you I'd hate to short a recipe you know works. You might try a small batch without it to see....
Have you tried to get some on-line like at Sausagemaker?

Reactions: wnctracker
I don't know of a substitute except for maybe soy protein concentrate, but I don't know everything ;-)
I don't know that NFDM actually affects the flavor but like you I'd hate to short a recipe you know works. You might try a small batch without it to see....
Have you tried to get some on-line like at Sausagemaker?
Sausage maker has a pound of it for $26 + shipping but I don’t need nearly that much. I usually just use a few packets of nfdm from the grocery store for $4

Try a health food store. Kinda crazy but I bought few sausage making things there: TVP, potato starch, etc.

LakeErieSMKR LakeErieSMKR Hey there neighbor! In Sandusky.

Yes, a health food store might have it. The one where I live has it in the bulk food section. You can also use soy
protein concentrate in its place, Kutas in his book lists them as interchangeable. For soy protein use 5%,
NFDM use 12%.

Cal

I buy the 1 lb 8 oz from sausage maker . Goes a long way ,,, but I use alot . Just used it to make sausage gravy , because I was out of milk .

Anyway , health food store sounds like a good option to buying online . Soy or whey protein if no dry milk .
I'll just throw this out there ,, whole eggs . I use 2 whole eggs per 5 lbs in some brats I make .

Saw this on amazon for 9.00

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky