Need a new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So an update for anyone interested. I finally made a decision (took long enough) and bought another MES 30. Cabela's has a great sale on it right now, so the total was $168 after the $10 email sign-up coupon. I was seriously considering the Smokin-it 2D, but at $600 cheaper, I just decided to go this route again. After all, I was happy with the results I got from my last MES. Also ordered a Thermopro TP25 4 probe Bluetooth thermometer, so can't wait to try that out also. :)

Thanks everyone for the advise and input!

Reactions: TH-n-PA and tallbm
With all the PID talk on page 1 and the deal you got on the new Mes 30 you might want to take $150 and get the Auber WS-1510ELPM PID controller for your older Mes 30 and when your new controller fails after the warranty expires or becomes obsolete which is happening more and more with MB. I use the PID on my Mes 40 and the stock controller on my free Mes 30 from FB marketplace. My stock Mes 30 controller is flakey and shuts off using the remote once per cook but is easily caught since it's for shorter/smaller smokes and when it happens the rf remote goes blank. I did make a power cord from a 16 gauge extension cord by soldering 2 high temp connectors on the white and black wires and just the stripped green ground wire to wrap around one of the element access screws to ground the chassis. If my stock Mes 30 controller totally fails, I'll disconnect the stock wires to the element and hook up the power cord to the element and wrap the stripped ground around an access screw and tighten in a few minutes, plug into the Auber and run the sensor down the top vent and continue cooking. So an independent power cord and PID will save a cook until you do the simple no back removal bypass (if you decide to go that way vs make a power cord.) I did the simple no back removal bypass on my Mes 40 I use with my PID. The independent power cord is also a great troubleshooter if your Mes is tripping the gfci since your isolating the element from all stock circuitry. If the gfci trips with just the power cord connected to the element and grounded to a screw, when plugged into the gfci you know it's the element that is the issue. Sometimes the element ohms correctly and doesn't immediately trip the gfci and takes a little time depending on the element defect so power corded directly to the element and the ground wire secured eliminates headaches on troubleshooting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky