Need a meat slicer $500 range - Recommendations?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI

Good day and Happy 2022 to everyone. I am looking to buy a meat slicer mainly for slicing bacon and bread.

I am looking to spend around $500 for a quality unit. Was looking at the LEM big bite 10" slicer.

I took a look at the Cabela's slicer but it had several poor reviews so I am not to keen on that product right now.

What slicer would you recommend for the price +/- $100?

Thanks,

JC :emoji_cat:

Honestly, start searching on craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for Hobarts or Berkel slicers. Usually available for around 500$. Most are 12" slicers and can handle anything you want, even full size pork bellies for slicing bacon. 20-30 year old slicers like these are better than any slicer you might find new. This is my nearly 40 year old Hobart 1712 slicer
2021-08-20 14.37.19.jpg

I was looking at the 10 inch lem big bite also, think it was about $450 from our small, local, restaurant supply store...more than I need probably but also weighs 42 lbs if I remember correctly.

Ryan

Good day and Happy 2022 to everyone. I am looking to buy a meat slicer mainly for slicing bacon and bread.

I am looking to spend around $500 for a quality unit. Was looking at the LEM big bite 10" slicer.

I took a look at the Cabela's slicer but it had several poor reviews so I am not to keen on that product right now.

What slicer would you recommend for the price +/- $100?

Thanks,

JC are you looking specifically for 10 inch blades or larger?

If you can do smaller then the Chef's Choice 615 (yes 615 not other oddball models) is a great choice but its blade is only 7 inch. I have no issues slicing bacon and such but I'm not putting full belly slabs on it. I cut my bacon slabs to fit a 1 gallon bag for curing. I can't remember but I may even cut the slabs in half again for slicing. I think I can fit 3 slabs on top of each other and get 3 slices at a time but definitely can get 2 slabs for 2 slices at a time.

The CC615 is smaller, lighter, and super easy to clean which is very important. It does the job well for home use and I slice up 20 lbs of stuff in no time with it.

Again its not as heavy duty as some big models like 10inch blade size BUT its easy to handle, VERY easy to clean, and is not too big to be handled and stored away when not in use :)

I hope this info helps :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
JC are you looking specifically for 10 inch blades or larger?

If you can do smaller then the Chef's Choice 615 (yes 615 not other oddball models) is a great choice but its blade is only 7 inch. I have no issues slicing bacon and such but I'm not putting full belly slabs on it. I but my bacon slabs to fit a 1 gallon bag for curing. I can't remember but I may even cut the slabs in half again for slicing. I think I can fit 3 slabs on to of each other and get 3 slices at a time but definitely can get 2 slabs for 2 slices at a time.

The CC615 is smaller, lighter, and super easy to clean which is very important. It does the job well for home use and I slice up 20 lbs of stuff in no time with it.

Again its not as heavy duty as some big models like 10inch blade size BUT its easy to handle, VERY easy to clean, and is not too big to be handled and stored away when not in use :)

I hope this info helps :)

I have no specific blade size in mind. I think I am going to look at a used Hobart as rexster314 rexster314 suggested.

If I can't find one of those, I will look for a different model.

I have no specific blade size in mind. I think I am going to look at a used Hobart as rexster314 rexster314 suggested.

I have had the LEM 10” big bite for a couple years now. It’s a great machine. It is heavy and bulky like the Hobart. If you want a good slicer I recommend one that is belt driven and has that heavy blade. They slice effortlessly and about as fast as is safe to go. I owned several of the smaller slicers , gear driven (plastic) and serrated blades. I’d never give up my LEM 10”. Good luck in your search.

I'm with Rexster.. I found a Hobart on craigslist for $250.. I will say.. it is HEAVY... Ideally it would be nice to have counter space to park it and leave it there...

In my case, I do 200 lbs + of cured pork bellies each month. Each belly is at least 12" wide and 25 or so inches long. My Hobart can take the entire belly on it's carriage. I don't have to trim down the bellies whatsoever. And go from paper thin slices to about an inch wider. If you ever have something like that, you'll love it

In my case, I do 200 lbs + of cured pork bellies each month. Each belly is at least 12" wide and 25 or so inches long. My Hobart can take the entire belly on it's carriage. I don't have to trim down the bellies whatsoever. And go from paper thin slices to about an inch wider. If you ever have something like that, you'll love it
Yup, this is true, and is very nice. However most of us don’t do volume belly. I just fold the belly in half making a “C” shape and slice full length slices, not a problem. Everything else is a breeze.

I bought a used commercial slicer and love the power and capacity.
One thing to look for when buying used commercial machine is the sharpening attachment. You can't get the attachments for some older machines, but can get the stones. Same goes for making sure the blade is not severely nicked or out of round.

I am starting to sell my own home brand of bacon and am looking for a good slicer. Found a Hobart but it is 3 hours away from me. Not sure if I want to make the drive just for a look.

Would love to be able to get full belly slices.

What about other makers like Globe? Are those any good?

Also look at local on-line auction sites, I have seen several Hobart slicers sell for 2 to 300 dollars on a few here from restaurants that have closed.

Nice great advice on that...

I am starting to sell my own home brand of bacon and am looking for a good slicer. Found a Hobart but it is 3 hours away from me. Not sure if I want to make the drive just for a look.

Would love to be able to get full belly slices.

What about other makers like Globe? Are those any good?
Globe, Berkel, Hobart are the ones to watch for. When looking at one, make sure the thickness dial goes from 0 to full open. If it doesn't work, or is jammed, it's usually due to the previous owners using wd-40, pam or other crap which gets sticky and will jam that mechanism. If you're handy with regular hand tools, consider the purchase, as it's easy to fix. Parts, if needed, are readily available online. If you're not, pass on it. I've repaired both of my Hobarts, second time faster since I knew what was wrong.

Globe, Berkel, Hobart are the ones to watch for. When looking at one, make sure the thickness dial goes from 0 to full open. If it doesn't work, or is jammed, it's usually due to the previous owners using wd-40, pam or other crap which gets sticky and will jam that mechanism. If you're handy with regular hand tools, consider the purchase, as it's easy to fix. Parts, if needed, are readily available online. If you're not, pass on it. I've repaired both of my Hobarts, second time faster since I knew what was wrong.

Excellent advice. I am fairly handy so I may just go for a jammed one for the price break.

make sure the thickness dial goes from 0 to full open

I agree.. mine was bent... so I had to tear it apart... cut the welds.. straighten it out and reweld it... what a pain in the butt to get both rods going in and out at the same angle without binding... can't remember how many times I had to start over after tac welding it...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky