Need A-Maze-N Advice in Northern NY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Eaglechaser

Original poster
May 4, 2018
Plattsburgh, NY
I'm fairly new here but I've been smoking for about three years. I decided to try my hand at cold smoking cheese with the AMNS (6X6) but I'm having a hard time keeping the dust lit. I used an Akorn Kamado grill and placed the maze on the fire bowl grate (no charcoal), both top and bottom vents wide open. When that didn't work I removed the ash tray from the grill, leaving the bottom completely open, thinking it was an air flow problem. That didn't work either. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe the dust is too tight or too loose in the maze, still need more ventilation, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Your Kamado could be too cold and causing a "cold air" dam, not allowing the air to rise... If the ambient air is warmer than the air in the Kamado, it will sink... cold air is heavier than warm air...
Can you heat it up... or try a big cardboard box, for a smoker, and add cooling racks to put the cheese on... be sure to add upper and lower air vents..
Dust creates very little heat...

Your Kamado could be too cold and causing a "cold air" dam, not allowing the air to rise... If the ambient air is warmer than the air in the Kamado, it will sink... cold air is heavier than warm air...
Can you heat it up... or try a big cardboard box, for a smoker, and add cooling racks to put the cheese on... be sure to add upper and lower air vents..
Dust creates very little heat...

I'll try heating up the kamado a little to see if that helps. When it cools off I'll be back where I started but at least I'll know what the problem is. Thanks.

My only thought would be to prop the lid up just a tad(thinking maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch). Something like a screwdriver might work.

Chris.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky