My XL smoke for the Shop.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sprky

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 26, 2007
Hutchinson Kansas
ATTENTION MODERATORS

I thought this was the best forum to post this. If you feel there is a better forum for this, by all means feel free to move it.

First off I know I am going too hear 
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif
th_nopicsye3.gif
and of course

worthless.gif

I know ya all love the Q-view as much as I do, and and I profusely apologize for not having any
sorry.gif
. I had no idea that I was going to be doing this smoke, when my son wanted to borrow our camera, so I let him. I would have kept the camera so we had Q-view, had I known. I'm sure the post would have been shorter with pics, since they are worth 1000 words. I even toyed with the idea of not posting at all, but decided a post with no Q-view was better then no post at all on a smoke.   Again I'm 
sorry.gif

On Monday evening the owner of the shop calls me up and asks if I would mind smoking some meat for a get together on Thursday, for shop and families. He tells me that he would supply everything, but my skills and smokers, and throw a few bucks my way for my time. How could I say NO, I'd be a fool to turn down $ for something I love doing.

Fast forward to 8:00 am Tuesday. I go to the shop and they guys are telling me my Q is better than a BBQ joint in KC, now it's even harder to say no. The guys tell me we must have Abt’s and wicked beans, and ask about turkey, brisket, PP, ribs, and hot links. I inform them whole turkeys, and brisket are close but doable, everything else no problem plenty of time.

No one can decide on what too have. Ron say’s why not some of each that way there is variety, and I’ll invite others join us. I said OK, but we have a problem I don’t have enough time with my smoker space to do all this. Ron say’s ok I’ll rent a big smoker. My reply, smoking on a rig that you never have used before is risky, the whole deal could go south, so I’d rather not do that. I said give me a few minutes and I’ll figure something out.  I then ask how much do you all want. There replies whatever just so there is plenty. I get paper and pencil and start working out a rough time line with a margin of error and space requirements for each. I decide I’m wrong I can do this, and have time to spare. Brisket 24 hrs, pork roast 12 hrs, turkey 12 hrs if I do turkey breast I’ll save 4 hours, chickens 8 hours, ribs 8 hours, hot links 6 hours. Smokers will be chuck full but it can be done.  I tell Ron he’s looking at a chunk of change, and a bunch of meat, as I have no clue how much to cook of each, but it freezes well. Ron tells me; let’s do this he doesn’t care its Christmas, and a write off.

I get everything home around noon. My wife asks what on earth is all this for?  I explain to her what is going on, she says you have done it again bought way more food then you need, and are in way over your head on this. You have enough to feed 100 people!  How are you planning on keeping all this cold?  I reply coolers ice and fridge. How are you going to keep food hot?  No way can you smoke all this and keep it hot with your smokers, not enough room. I reply some will have to be done ahead of time and reheated. How do you plan on doing that?  I reply in the oven naturally. How are you going to hold food and reheat at same time? I reply OMG I didn’t think about that, I don’t know. See you are in way over your head you’ll never be able to do this safely. I’ll just have to use the shops oven, and our grill to reheat. Wife says, I don’t think you enough room, even doing that, you have got to cut some of this out and do it later.  Ok before I say you’re wrong let’s look at this. Brisket will come off smoker and be held in oven, ribs same way.  I can do turkey, chicken, PP early and reheat in oven, hot links early and reheat on grill. Once they are in pans they don’t take a lot of room. Wife says you can’t fit 3 pans that size in oven. I think I can let’s see.  Nope she’s right I can’t, and shops oven is smaller than ours. I’ll have to use a cooler to hold brisket and ribs, they will hold temps for several hours, if I pre heat. Now I have enough room.  Wife says I still think you are better off cutting some, but do whatever you want. She knows with me being as stubborn as I am I’m going to try doing it all.

I started smoking Wednesday at 10 Am. Smokers ran nonstop till 11:30 today. All meat was done, pulled, sliced, and reheated by 11:30 Am today. I borrowed the neighbor’s oven to reheat in, since shops is a small oven. Abt’s and wicked beans were hot off smoker. I was cutting things close, as we were doing this at noon. I shuffled, the pulled pork, and ribs between my oven and cooler, to keep them warm. Ron came over at 11:30 to help transport everything to the shop.

This was a HUGE amount of work, and extremely stressful. I was more busy then a 1 legged man in a** kicking contest.  I am one tired puppy; I was up all night doing this except for the few cat naps. It turned out good and everyone loved it, so it was worth it. The sales rep for the electrical supply house said I needed to start catering, as the food was off the hook. There were around 30 people there and we put a small dent in the food.  The ribs were totally gone. About 2/3 of the brisket and PP was left. About 3/4 of turkey and hot links was left. Most of the chicken was left. I learned people prefer other meats over chicken if available. 1 1/2 pan of beans was left. Roughly 1/2 the Abt’s were left.   We saved the full pan beans, around 1/2 the Abt’s and some of each meat for the shop. I took the rest of the Abt’s and hot links the 1/2 pan of beans, home with me.  Instead of freezing the remaining meats we donated it to the soup kitchen.

Here is what I smoked, and how long it smoked.

1 - 14.5 pound packer brisket - 22.5 hours

4 - Pork roast total weight of 29.09#

6.45# - 8.5 hrs

6.76# - 8.75 hrs

7.25# - 9.25 hrs

8.63# - 12.75 hrs

6 racks spare ribs - 3-2-1 method 7.25 hrs

I didn't record the weights of the ribs I have no idea why.

2 - Turkey breasts total weight 15.88#

7.65 # - 5.75 hrs

8.23# - 6.25 hrs

6 – Chickens total weight 36.23#

5.46# - 4 hrs

5.58# - 4 hrs

5.78# - 4.5 hrs

6.16# - 4.75 hrs

6.39# - 4.75 hrs

6.86# - 5 hrs

10# hot links -  4 hrs

4 batches wicked beans – 3 hours

5# Abt’s – 3 hours

Hind sight my wife was correct there was way more then we needed. I should have just cooked what I normally would for my family, and there would have still been more than enough. I have this more is better mentality, my wife calls it the Tim Allen syndrome, when it comes to smoking. I also had no clue how much to make, which compounded it.  I don’t think I’ll try this again anytime soon……lol. I have the upmost respect for all you guys that cater. The catering idea from the sales rep is an interesting idea.  However I’m clueless as how to do it, so I’m not even entertaining the idea at this time.

sprky, that's one heck of an under taking and it sounds like it turned out fine for you. It's always better to have too much than not enough.  That was a nice jester on your part, donating the left over meats to a soup kitchen. I'm sure that will be a suprise meal for those who need it. Two thumbs up for you.
icon14.gif

icon14.gif

Sounds like fun. Do you have the catering spreadsheet? If not pm me and I can email it to you.

An unlimited supply of ice chests!  Amazing how they know when to keep something hot and when to keep something cold.

So your wife is a doubter also.  Sometimes I just smile and tell her to sit down, be quiet and watch how it's done!

Good Job

Last edited:
points1.png
will be given upon the presentation of Q-View or sworn affidavits from three participants stating they "et some of yur grub". 
icon_wink.gif

Congrats on a great job.  The problem with doing one of these things is "people talk".  When it is really good, others will be asking you to share your time and talents with them--don't be afraind to say no if the next one is too soon or too big.

Now, go get some rest. 

Sounds great.... but you forgot this one!!!

Craig

e811cf1b_1000x500px-LL-356f16fd_ThreadisUseless.jpg

That was a nice jester on your part, donating the left over meats to a soup kitchen. I'm sure that will be a suprise meal for those who need it. Two thumbs up for you.
icon14.gif

icon14.gif
I can't take full credit for that. Ron's wife was talking about the soup kitchen and there need for donations. I simply mentioned the left overs would be a great donation, and the others agreed.

Sounds like fun. Do you have the catering spreadsheet? If not pm me and I can email it to you.
It was a huge amount of work but yet it was fun at the same time. No I dont have a spread sheet, I'll pm ya. Honestly I'm not sure I will do the catering gig at this point.

points1.png
will be given upon the presentation of Q-View or sworn affidavits from three participants stating they "et some of yur grub". 
icon_wink.gif

No problem I'll gather them up for ya only 3 gezzzz that's easy. 

Congrats on a great job.  The problem with doing one of these things is "people talk".  When it is really good, others will be asking you to share your time and talents with them--don't be afraind to say no if the next one is too soon or too big.

Ya I'm thinking your right on the talk deal. Ron thinks the sales rep was fishing to see if I'd do it. 

Now, go get some rest. 

lol I got home after the get together late afternoon, sat down to watch some TV and fell asleep, I didn't wake up till around 8 wife said she tried to wake me for dinner.

Sounds great.... but you forgot this one!!!

Craig

e811cf1b_1000x500px-LL-356f16fd_ThreadisUseless.jpg
Yep sure did, It's not in the emote section. I do like it though

I'm doing what I thought was a pretty big smoke tomorrow with 30+lbs. of butt but my work pales in comparison with what you did.  Wow!

Curt.
Andy if ya break it down it's nothing more then a bunch of smaller smokes. the pork roasts I did are close to what you are doing. I didn't smoke this all at the same time. Just several smokes over a 25 1/2 hour period.

Great job my friend. What you pulled off would have cost them a couple thousand $$ for a caterer and not been nearly as good. Just think how well you cemented your job with this. 
points.gif

Great job my friend. What you pulled off would have cost them a couple thousand $$ for a caterer and not been nearly as good. Just think how well you cemented your job with this. 
points.gif

Quote:
YEP YOU WILL BE THE LAST ONE TO GO...GOOD JOB !!!  SURE WOULD HAVE LIKED TO HAVE SEEN THAT...
Well I wish that were true. This is a very small shop. Ron and his 3 boys do 99% of the work. I mainly fill in if they are behind, have a small remodel, and some service work. I kinda fell in to this gig quite awhile back while I was working my full time maintenance job. Ron won the bid for the electrical on a bunch of RTU replacement and addition. The GC and weather had the whole job behind schedule. I didn't have a whole lot to do a couple of days so I pitched in and helped them. Later that week Ron came up and asked me if i would be interested in some side work. I was working 4 on 3 off so I said sure why not, but I need to check with my boss to make sure its cool/ kosher with them. My boss told me what I do on my own time is up to me, I just couldn't work for Ron on company time, well duuuuuu that's a no brainier.  Dam and  I wanted to double dip....lmao, So I started working for Ron on my free time, and have been ever since. Ron would put me on full time if there was enough work, It's just not there.

I wish I had known I was doing this earlier we would have had pics. There would not have been a bunch as I was too busy to take them but there would have been some. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky