My uds build

Discussion in 'UDS Builds' started by c farmer, Jun 3, 2013.

1. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

At about 315 now.  I put one cap on.

2. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

You will.smoked burgers will be done in 20-30 minutes...the searing part takes no time

3. c farmer

How hot does it need to be to sear?

4. c farmer

With one cap on it dropped to 275 so I took it off.

5. fwismoker

Dude the valves won't matter while searing... When you bring up that basket it will burst into flames and you'll be searing over 600 degrees!

6. fwismoker

You can literally go from smoking at 225 to searing in minutes!!! ... Especially using lump. Lump is my go to for the drum 90% of the time.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  7. c farmer

Ok man, It is back up to 300 so I closed the ball valve 1/2 way.

I am learning.

8. fwismoker

Bricks won't burst into flames like lump though... But still will get hot quick

9. c farmer

I want to try lump too.

Might like lump better.

10. webowabo

webowabo Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Yay! I almost missed it. Stupid new computer just went out. Back to phone. Thanks for the pm reminder farmer. .. uds looking good... and like keith said.... the real deal smokes ;)

Come on beef!

11. I prefer lump. I usually burn KB tho. I'm going to make somelump when it cools off some.

David

12. webowabo

webowabo Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Curious to see that..making your own lump? And even if im allowed in the city.... but I have plenty of oak and pecan wood seasoned in my backyard to try.... plenty!

13. When you make your own. It doesn't matter much what you start with as long as it is hard wood.

14. c farmer

Getting ready to put the burgers on.

15. [​IMG]

16. fwismoker

I've thought about putting wood chunks in a sealed metal container and putting it on my bottom rack of my UDS that is right above the basket. .. It would be a slow process but it would make lump after a few cooks. I'd like to make some on a larger scale but it's tough in the city

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  17. c farmer

Going on.

18. fwismoker

A drum roll please! :)

19. I have 1 30 gal barrel.  set it on a cender block. I fill it up with cut up pieces, Then take a 55 gal barrel with a bunck of holes near the bottom. But all the way around the 55 gal drum. Put it upside down over the 30 gal drum. Then flip them over without geiing anything between them, Now the 30 gal is inside the 55 gal with the 30 upside down. Pack the remander of the 55 gal full of scrap. trigs limps boards. the fuller the better. Take the removeable top from the 55 gal and cut a roundish hole in the middle and attach a piece of 6' stove pipe to it. Litte the 55 gal and attach the top. Plan on it burning for 20-24 hours. Wait for it to cool before you open it up. You will then have a bunch of lump ready to go.

Happy smoken.

David

20. [​IMG]