My Question About Grilling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

markjordan

Original poster
Jun 7, 2021
Hello there, everyone. My first gas barbecue, a Weber Q1200, was recently purchased. The propane cartridges were also purchased. I have a few safety concerns because this is my first time using gas and owning a gas grill:

Is it safe to keep the gas cartridge connected to the line that connects the tank and the grill? I read on several sites that shutting the valve enabling gas to flow to the grill is fine.

I live in an apartment and will cook on my balcony grill. Is it safe to leave it outside? Is it alright if I keep it in my kitchen?
Do the cast iron grates need to be oiled? I frequently oil my cast iron skillet and bake it for an hour, but I'm not sure whether I should do the same with the grates.

Any additional safety and enhancement advice is much welcomed. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Your apartment manager/owner has a lot to say regarding cooking/grilling on your balcony. Check to see if it is allowed.
Do not store the grill with the canister attached inside the apartment. Disconnect and store separately. Again, check with management.
Read your manual regarding leaving canister attached between uses.
YES! Oil the grates to season. Also will prevent rust as well as aid in preventing food sticking.

Leave the propane can out side, the grates are probably porcelain coated and only need cleaned not oiled but cant hurt, ck the owners Manuel. the tanks can leak and not advisable to leave indoors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 912smoker
Leave the propane can out side, the grates are probably porcelain coated and only need cleaned not oiled but cant hurt, ck the owners Manuel. the tanks can leak and not advisable to leave indoors.

Indeed, good advice always remember with gas grills, safety first!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky