My pork butt was terrible...need expert advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I see that there are varying opinons about fat cap up/down/removed.I would think that leaving the fat cap on and up would help keep the meat moist and not dry out on top. Opinions?

Last edited:
I see that there are varying opinons about fat cap up/down/removed. I would think that leaving the fat cap on and up would help keep the meat moist and not dry out on top. Opinions?
 I agree, that is how I do mine.  Fat Cap up not removed. To me fat equal flavor.  I suggest you try it a few ways and then you will have your way after that.

I see that there are varying opinons about fat cap up/down/removed. I would think that leaving the fat cap on and up would help keep the meat moist and not dry out on top. Opinions?
The logic is that if it's up then the fat will drip over the whole piece of meat and keep it moist.  If you use a vertical cooker some place it down so it can help shield from the direct radiant heat....i.e drum smokers which is what i'm now using.   In my case the last one i cooked i had a water pan directly under the butt so i put it fat cap up, if i didn't use the water pan under the butt then i'd go down. The last few hours i pulled my pan so it develops the bark and crisps it up. 

It's personal preference but imo it does make a difference with what type of cooker you use, horizontal vs vertical and water pan or no water pan.    We are always trying to make the very best moistest meat possible...so experiment and see what works best for you.

Here's my butt from yesterday, fat cap up with the water pan.The fat cap in this pic is on the bottom...just flipped it when i pulled it out.  

Last edited:
I'm using a Big Green Egg with a ceramic plate setter heat deflector so no direct heat from the coals. I think I'm going fat on and fat up this weekend

Few questions about this post...

I have a MES 30"... should I get a digital thermometer also? Can you link me to an inexpensive one that will work for this?
Definitely get a digital thermometer you can get one at Wal-Mart pretty cheep or most any BBQ section of any big box store, Home Depot, Lowes Etc. ...  Honestly WM is where I got both of mine and they were like 15 bucks each they work great. found them right in the BBQ section.   The ones I have are Backyard Grill brand nothing fancy ...

I just checked WM online and didn't see mine but they do have other models very reasonable just depends how serious you are.  here's link just to get an idea.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Maverick-Barbeque-Digital-Thermometer/19898362  but mind you there are lots of options with all sorts of bells and whistles ..  Simplicity is best in my honest opinion.  The guys here may suggest something they like as well.

Also invest in a Digital Instant read thermometer.  they do come in very handy.  this is the exact one I use. inexpensive and works great.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Backyard-Grill-Digital-Thermometer/19525216

Well.... The neighborhood BBQ was last weekend and I made two pork butts.Rubbed with salt, ground black pepper, brown sugar, white sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, ground ginger. Wrapped in plastic for a 24 hr rest in the fridge.Started the BGE around 8 pm, stabilized the temp on the way up, got it to hold steady around 230 deg F. Loaded with pecan chunks for smoke, drip pan with about a gallon of water in it and meat on at around 10 pm.checked on the meat around 2 am. Temp on pit still around 225. 4 am check, temp up to 250 so I bagan to work it down over the next hour. Stabilized back at 233 deg F around 5:45 am, back to sleep for a few hrs. 7:15 am, IT at 165. 10:30 am... IT still at 165. warmed the BGE up to around 260 deg F and let er cook. 1:15 pm. IT 200 Deg F. Meat was so soft and tender, bone was very loose. Removed from BGE, wrapped in foil and into an ice chest for a 2 hr rest.Pulled apart in front of the kitchen crowd at the party and it was game on at that point. It turned out better than I expected. The party host made a Brisket on his BGE but he said he liked my pork better than his beef.So...To all that offered advice, I am truly thankful and appreciative.

Sounds like you pretty much nailed it down, Mike. Now that you've got the basics working in your favor, you'll have far better results than your first pulled pork smoke. Stay with it, 'cuz it will just get better and better from here on out.

Eric

Congrats Mike.   As you've already seen, opinions differ on the "right" way to smoke just about anything.  Fat cap up or down ?  Water in the pan or dry chamber ?  Foil or no foil ?  Low and slow or higher heat?  Only add smoke for a little while, or smoke the whole time through ?  

That said, there is one point that's pretty universal, but even then there's some variability.  With butts, it's to take them to the neighborhood of 200 degrees.  Some say 195, others opt for 205, yada, yada, yada.    Might also add that proper resting is pretty much universally agreed upon, though there are differences of opinion on exactly what that entails as well.

As forluvofsmoke said, you have the "basics" down now.  IF you want, this is where you could start playing around and start experimenting a little bit to try and attain what you consider to be "perfection".  Then again, you might have already done it  :)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky