My newest gadget

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Good day all. Wishing you all a great end to this decade and that 2020 brings you joy and prosperity!

I have just completed my alpha prototype of an electrical heater for my Stump's Baby Sarina.

Why would I need such a thing for a gravity fed charcoal smoker you may ask?

I am going to use the cabinet to cold smoke sausages in the winter.

It is just a PID controller and SSR wired to a stove top burner element.

With this set up, I should be able to do cold smokes for days at smoke house temperatures below 70 F just like the old world smoke houses.

I am going to be making some Polska Kielbasa Wedzona with forum member TomKnollRFV TomKnollRFV later in January.

I am hoping to use the old style Polish cold smoking method for these.

I would post a pic but my aplha prototypes are always pretty ugly. :emoji_confounded:

JC :emoji_cat:

PID heater A.jpg

Here it is in all it's glory... :emoji_laughing: I used borosilicate glass tubes to insulate the heater from the wires. That may have been a bit of overkill.

This set-up should regulate my smoker within 1 degree C.

I can achieve even better regulation if I use a PT100 style sensor.

Just need a base and maybe add a fan... Thinking of using a #10 can for the base.

I am tempted to let him cold smoke my allotment of the polish sausage with this gadget now and take my chances... I mean it certainly is cold enough if the power went out or some thing..well..the meat won't spoil!

Reactions: JC in GB
Good catch. It would still work but I did plan on color matching when i wired it into the smoker. :emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky