My Fridge Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wyrman

Original poster
Dec 15, 2011
I built a smoker last year and decided to put a PID controller on it. One thing led to another and I decided to build a brand new one.

I found an old GE fridge that seems perfect. Here's a few pics of the progress so far.

Here's the old one. It's obviously a lot more seasoned now.

f5cb7e5a_IMG_1290.jpg

dff52375_IMG_1324.jpg

My cold smoke generator.

8f3874fc_IMG_2063.jpg

The new smoker to be.I got a 3000 watt element for the heat. I'm going to drop the bottom 6" so the element will be lower.

1a64308a_IMG_2060.jpg

303707fa_IMG_2065.jpg

e9f530a0_IMG_2058.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still getting the hang of this forum. lol

Last edited:
Looks Very Cool!

How about a tour of the smoker?

I am assuming 220v.....Correct?

Todd

Sorry about that Tjohnson, I posted kind of in a hurry.

I put a 3000 watt broiler element in it, and a 60cfm fan from Ebay. The cold smoke generator is design #2 and seems to do pretty good.

I actually have three switches on the front now, one for the main power, aquarium pump, and the fan.

I am extremely happy with this smoker compared to my old one, I didn't like the fact with the old one that I didn't have better heat control, now with the PID I will.

What's the blower on the side?

Part of a furnace or?

What's the purpose?

Todd

What's the blower on the side?

Part of a furnace or?

What's the purpose?

Todd
The blower was suggested to me to help keep temps even throughout the smoker and to help keep the smoke rolling through the smoker.

The guy that suggested it knows his way around a smoker soI took his advice, and I really like the idea.

Nice build! What do you use to keep drippings from going into that basin with the element?

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for the compliments. Even though it's just a smoker I still take pride in making it look as good as I can.

I forgot to mention that is indeed 220 volts, and the fan is for a corn stove per the ad on Ebay.

I bought a cookie sheet that will cover the element from drippings.

I will be smoking some cnadian bacon this weekend, I will update the pics of the build then.

As far as a dehydrator, I hadn't really thought about that as I have one already but I don't see why it couldn't be used for that.

That'd be a big dehydrator.

I'm thinking about painting the whole outside flat black.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky