my first Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stjoeguy1122

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
St Joseph, Missouri
While I was cruising the meat department trying to decide what to smoke up next I found a Tri Tip, having read so many posting on here about what an awesome cut of meat this is I figured I would give it a try.

I covered it in sweet hot mustard, CBP, garlic powder, and I threw on a little Tony Roma seasoning for some kick.

sorry I forgot to take before smoker pictures

8640cf75_tritip.jpg

I smoked in my MES at 225 with Oak and Hickory pellets in my AMNPS

ef9858bf_tritipsliced.jpg

my probe said IT was at 160, I did the foil, towel, cooler for an hour or so, but as you can see it was no where close to a medium well - well.

I must not of had my probe inserted correctly?.?.

I don't mind steaks on the rare side but my family doesn't like any blood at all . .  I took about half of it and sliced and simmered in broth for them, I slapped my half on bread with cheese and enjoyed several wonderful sandwich. I was really surprised about how tender this was, even being this rare it melted in my mouth.

My family is getting used to eating meat NAKED, no need to hide of the sauces any more.

I'm starting to plan out my Tri-tip session.  In terms of planning, how long should I plan on it taking the meat to get to an IT of 140 at 225?

Thanks

I'm starting to plan out my Tri-tip session.  In terms of planning, how long should I plan on it taking the meat to get to an IT of 140 at 225?

Thanks

I've been going 2-2.5 hours at 225F in a MES40. Then I pull it out and put it on a hot grill for a few minutes while I insert my temp. probes. It is normally between 135&140 when I put it on the grill. The grill stage is usually 5 minutes and results in nice grill lines on the meat. 

Then I wrap in foil and let it rest for 20-40 minutes before slicing.

While I was cruising the meat department trying to decide what to smoke up next I found a Tri Tip, having read so many posting on here about what an awesome cut of meat this is I figured I would give it a try.

I covered it in sweet hot mustard, CBP, garlic powder, and I threw on a little Tony Roma seasoning for some kick.

sorry I forgot to take before smoker pictures

8640cf75_tritip.jpg

I smoked in my MES at 225 with Oak and Hickory pellets in my AMNPS

ef9858bf_tritipsliced.jpg

my probe said IT was at 160, I did the foil, towel, cooler for an hour or so, but as you can see it was no where close to a medium well - well.

I must not of had my probe inserted correctly?.?.

I don't mind steaks on the rare side but my family doesn't like any blood at all . .  I took about half of it and sliced and simmered in broth for them, I slapped my half on bread with cheese and enjoyed several wonderful sandwich. I was really surprised about how tender this was, even being this rare it melted in my mouth.

My family is getting used to eating meat NAKED, no need to hide of the sauces any more.
Looks GREAT!  The juices: If it was blood it would be dark, almost black and would be thick and coagulate. The blood is drained during slaughter. The juices on your plate are a protein rich liquid called myoglobin.

Instead of slicing and cooking in broth......just toss it on the grill for a few min a side.

We grill hundreds of pounds of tri tip roast a year for big fund raisers. One of the coolest things about cooking tri tips is they have all ranges....from well to med rare if they are cooked right.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky