My First Spatchcock Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

serialgriller

Original poster
a9b6fb13_IMG_0140.jpg
19db8fbb_IMG_0131.jpg
1f7b4250_IMG_0133.jpg
ea6ba897_IMG_0135.jpg
c6ff2609_IMG_0137.jpg
af8e217b_IMG_0138.jpg
1f25f663_IMG_0139.jpg
My First Spatch Cock Chickens

Brine:

1 Med Yellow Onion cut into chunks

1 Cup Table Salt

3/4 Cup Coarse Sea Salt

12oz Clover Honey

1/2 Cup White Sugar

1 TBLSP Ground Red Pepper

2 TBLSP Garlic Herb Seasoning

1 TBLSP Fresh Ground Black Pepper

1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar

1.5 Gallons Water

Start brine on the stove top at medium and bring to a boil let boil for 5 minutes remove from heat and allow to get to room temp before placing the chicken in it.  I like to cool the brine with ice to cool it faster. 

It ended up being a 4.5 hour smoke at about 225 the chicken was brined for about 10 hours in the refridgerator and I foiled it for the last hour and a half.

The chicken was delicious you know you have a hit when all the white meat goes before the dark. 

Serialgriller. welcome to the SMF and the most knowledge of BBQ and Grilling on the net.

Please stop by our Rollcall to introduce yourself to the crowd.

I have read your post and  pics. and have undeleted it to be seen by our members now.. Our Defensio alerts us and we check for 'Spammers' , each new guest gets held until cleared . Sorry for the delay, Stan.....

You Yardbird looks great , Keep post Q-view like that, we love to drool.
drool.gif

I'm interested in this technique, as I have only done whole birds without spatchcocking.  Can you describe any differences?

xutfuzzy this is how to spatchcock a chicken this was my first attempt and it came out Great.

1) The chicken should be breast down. This means the legs are under the bird, and the wings are on top. 

2) Start cutting just beside the backbone with game shears. 

3) Cut through the ribs right along the backbone. 

4) Here, the cut has been made all the way from front to back. 

5) Begin the second cut just on the other side of the backbone. 

6) Then the bird with the backbone completely cut out. 

7) Spread the bird open and turn in over. 

8) Press down on the bird until it lies relatively flat. You have just spatchcocked a chicken!

SmokinHusker and oldschoolbbq, 

I posted in roll call thanks for the advice I joined a little over a year ago but havnt had much time to smoke.  I will have alot more time from now on I get ready to retire in two years from the Army.  Take Care

Welcome aboard.  I like the fan set up to keep the fire stoked.  HOOAH!  In my book, brining and spatchcock is the way to go: everything is flavorful and moist and it cooks the same because it's now a flat piece of meat.

I did my first spatchcock a couple weekends ago, turned out great, brined for about 20 hrs then spatchcock, it was awesome! Yours looks great as well and a million thanks for your service!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky