My first smoked duck on the GMG Jim Bowie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lght

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Sunny Southern California
I'm a huge fan of duck so when I found whole ducks on sale at RD for about $2.70 a lb I picked up a few.  I started off by brinning the duck for 24 hours.  Let it air dry in the fridge and then I cross cut the duck so that the fat can render out easily.  I then applied some Chinese 5 spice, Jamaican season, and a little Simply Marvelous Sweet Apple.  Let it sit for about 4 hours then put it on the GMG JB at 150 for an hour to pick up some smoke.  Then I cranked it up to 350 for about an hour to cook.  Once it was up to around 155 I cranked the grill up to 500 to get a nice sear and finish it off.  Let it rest for about 15 min and served.

The spices really go well with the duck.  You don't get any gamey taste whatsoever as the brine really cuts through the meat.  Not a lot of meat on ducks, but the breast was moist, tender, and juicy.

Forgot to take finished picks, but I'll get some when I do the next duck.

Wow ..... I am guessing that is not your first rodeo! Excellant job on that duck. Do you normally still find a gamy taste with a farm raised duck? That sucker has thighs big enough to eat....... Nice duck.

Excellent smoke.

first.gif

Wow ..... I am guessing that is not your first rodeo! Excellant job on that duck. Do you normally still find a gamy taste with a farm raised duck? That sucker has thighs big enough to eat....... Nice duck.

Excellent smoke.

first.gif
Well I've cooked duck a few times, but this was the first on the GMG smoker.  The brine really gets rid of a lot of the "gamey" taste.  For duck brine I use the standard amount of salt, but I also use a cup of dark brown sugar, and toss in a little star anise, cumin, and garlic powder. 

That in combination with the very hard spices used for the rubs really cuts through the gamey taste.  I really wish I would have taken some finished pics, because it's a really dark Carmel color. 

Another good thing about smoking duck is all that priceless duck fat I end up with for french fries!! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky