My first smoked Chuckie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinLogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Owensboro, Kentucky
I’m still venturing out and trying new things to smoke. Ive been wanting to try a chuck roast for awhile. They look so good, like a mini brisket!

I started out with a 3.9 LB choice grade chuck roast with some nice marbling. I just gave it a rinse, no trim, no binder, and a heavy dusting of my seasoning. The pic is after a 30 minute rest with the rub on it. I didn’t want any sweet, just something with a little heat to compliment the beef flavor. Fresh ground black pepper, smoked sea salt, smoked paprika, ground red pepper, garlic powder and some ground celery seed made for a nice color and texture.
FD5AA23A-1D22-4D20-9BC9-15DD879574AB.jpeg

I had the UDS maintaining 250degrees with cowboy lump, and pecan and cherry chunks of wood for my smoke.

This is after 3 hours in the smoke.
29F365E9-5FBF-4521-A51F-5A33DFEA5A41.jpeg

I smoked it to 165 (bark was already setup nice) and then wrapped in foil with a little Worcestershire sauce and a good squirt of parkay squeeze butter. I let it finish to 207 degrees and the temp probe went in all over like warm butter. I let it rest for an hour. I couldn’t stand it any longer lol had to slice it up. This was one of the juiciest cuts of meat I’ve cooked. It passed the brisket tests. I could pull a slice apart with no tugging, and I could hang a slice from the knife and just about have the ends hang down and touch each other. I was more than pleased. The wife and I loved it. Which is saying something for her. She isn’t a big fan sweet meat, and nothing too spicy or salty. The rub had a little heat to it, just enough to leave some heat on the pallet. The beef flavor really shown through, with a texture that just melts in your mouth. It even had a nice little smoke ring to go with it. All in all I am happy with my first Chuckie. Next time I want to try some poor boy burnt ends with a Chuckie!
F5ECDB93-96CD-4CEA-A328-4BFFB96C79A8.jpeg
FCF80208-6749-494D-B647-F1B5C91E5881.jpeg
095122B5-780C-4C78-BACF-9DE6A77449CC.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky