My first reverse flow build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks guys!  It took a LOT of work to get this thing cookable even though it doesn't look like much.  It sure makes me appreciate some of the other builds I've seen on SMF.

I'm hoping to get some more work done this weekend.  I still have to put a drain in, finish the air inlet adjusters and finish the warmer above the firebox, plus lots of other little odds and ends.  I'll keep posting what I add.

I also bought an 8lb Boston Butt today that I'm gonna fire up this weekend!

Looks like you are off to a great start. Get a good paint job on it and it will really look good. Put up some Qview of the butt and let us know how it came out.

Looks like you are off to a great start. Get a good paint job on it and it will really look good. Put up some Qview of the butt and let us know how it came out.
I'm eventually gonna get it sandblasted and a real paint job, but I've got lots of stuff to do to it, so I'm gonna wait.  I'm not that worried about the looks of it at this point. 

I cooked that Boston butt this weekend along with a bunch of chicken thighs.  I forgot to take any pictures, but next time I will for sure.  The cooker did great and the pork was out of this world!

I realized this weekend that I forgot that I never plugged 2 - 1" holes on the bottom of the cook chamber that were originally where gages were on the propane tank.  I thought that may be cooling the cook chamber down some, but I could barely fill any heat coming out of them so I've got to add filling those holes to the list of things to do.

I cooked today and finally thought to take a few pictures.  I cooked 4 butts overnight, which I forgot to get pics of, but I also did 12 lbs of chicken thighs, 2 whole birds and a pan of baked beans loaded with bacon, onion bell pepper and Dr. Pepper.  I haven't worked on the smoker much because when I have free time I'm usually cooking on it!

538b242c_IMG_0406.jpg

cae2f122_IMG_0408.jpg

2e68871b_IMG_0412.jpg

Some friends and I are doing a boston butt cook off today for a get together tonight.  Spareribs were on sale this week for $1.99/lb so I went ahead and threw a rack on the cooker as well.  Here is some Q-view and some pics of the recent modifications I've made: 

A couple weeks ago I welded 2 short pieces of round stock to the angle iron that my grates slide in and out on, this was to prevent the racks from flipping out of the smoker onto the ground when they're loaded and I slide them out.  It only took one close call before I realized that was a necessity. 

Before I built my fire this morning I decided to do a few more needed modifications on the smoker.  First was to weld 2 pieces of round stock vertically to the grates for handles, I wanted to place the handle in the center/front of the grates but there was no way to put the handle there and let the door shut completely.  So the next best thing was to put them on the side and it works pretty well.. 

Next and most importantly was to weld a piece of round stock vertically to the outside of the cooker to allow the left door to open the same amount that the right door opens.  I was having to basically either hold the door open with one hand and work with the other or open it ALL the way to the back side of the smoker.  I designed the cooker really tall (because I'm 6'5" and didn't want to stay bent over all day) but this made it nearly impossible to close the door from the front side of the cooker when it was open all the way.   The right side is perfect (by pure luck), when you open the door it snugs up right beside the chimney and stays exactly where it should.  If I'd tried to build it like that on purpose it wouldn't have worked haha.  All of this is temporary though because I intend on doing counter weights for both doors when I get a chance.

cbf47a6d_IMG_0741.jpg

c5b36eb9_IMG_0744.jpg

23ac107b_IMG_0743.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky