My first pork shoulder too!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shawn p

Original poster
Oct 12, 2013
So yesterday was my first time smoking a shoulder! Started at noon and finished resting in the cooler at 10 pm. So I let it smoke until it hit 160 IT (about 4.5 hrs) and pulled the smoke. I set my MES 40 Gen 2 at about 250 degrees. This is when it stalled for about an hour, I am guessing because it was only a 4lb piece (I went small so I didn't waste too much money if I screwed it up)! at about 170 to 180 IT it was really slow moving. At 180 IT jacked my smoker up to 275 to finish out the cooking. I pulled the shoulder out at 200 degrees IT.

I use the AMAZN smoker with bourbon pellets. Let me tell you Todd makes an amazing product and the bourbon pellets left such a good smoke flavor I don't think I will use another after this smoke. I have also used the Pitmaster blend of pellets but man the bourbon are by far superior.

Again I stopped the smoke after 4.5 hours which was two rows of pellets and I did not foil. This is what I finished with.

When it was all said and done a total of about 9 hours of smoking time. I used JJ's finishing sauce that I got from the website here.

I have to tell you this was the best pulled pork that I ever had in my life. The finishing sauce added the perfect bite to it and made it even more tender! Thanks to everyone on the site that post good recipes and tips for smoking! All my knowledge came from the good folks of Smoking Meat Forums!

Shawn

Thanks mule69! It was great and only too my family 10 minutes to eat it all! AMNPS is awesome! I won't use anything else!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky