My first Meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
After looking at tx smoker tx smoker amazing meatloaf I was really hungry for it myself and realized I had not had one since living with my parents many years ago. I have not made one myself.

It is pouring rain here so smoking it is not going to happen but with a new kitchen I would give it a try. I looked at many online recipes and kind of combined what I thought would work best for me.

I started with 2.25 Lb of 80/20 ground beef. I added panko, sauteed onions, carrots and bell peppers. Also some cilantro, oregano and two eggs.

meatloaf_001.jpg

For the topping I used ketchup, Chili Garlic sauce, Brown sugar and Kinder's - The blend.

meatloaf_002.jpg

It was placed in the oven @375* for 40 minutes. Then the sauce was applied and given another 20 minutes until it was ready to eat.

meatloaf_003.jpg

For my first meatloaf it turned out way better than I could have expected. I will definitely make more in the future.

meatloaf_004.jpg

It looks very good but with that said do another one and smoke it huge difference. I don't care for meatloaf out of an oven never have but out of a smoker is a whole new thing. My daughter and I never liked meatloaf when the wife fixed it to the point of she had to fix us something else to eat so she didn't make it often. Fast forward daughter get married her husband likes meatloaf but it still didn't get made often. One day I was at a meat market picking up stuff for the smoker saw their meatloaf mix and figured I would be nice and smoke one for them while I was smoking whatever for us. They are eating it and can't stop talking about how good it is so I take a bite hmm not bad got the daughter to try a bite and just like that we eat smoked meatloaf. lol

Very nice. I like meatloaf and yours looks great

We love meat loaf at our house and that one looks really good Chris. Nice job on the topping too!
Yep, a little smoke will knock that recipe out of the park.

For a first one you did great!!! Now you got your base recipe down....you can do so much with it now. And wait til you smoke your first one!!!!!

Jim

Looks great. I especially like the chili garlic idea.

Should you ever need to or, want to, quick cook rolled oats make a great sub for or addition to the Panko.

I am honored that you got the inspiration from one of my threads. Welcome to the official Meatloaf Club!! There's no turning back now. Wait till you get to smoke one, you'll never consider using the oven again :emoji_wink: It's a whole different world....and try stuffing with cheese next time. That was an amazing addition.

Robert

Thanks everyone. I will definitely try smoking it next time.

My wife and I were talking and she said you have smoked a meatloaf before. U'm not that I remember. We talked a little more and I have made a couple bacon bombs in the smoker a long time ago. I guess that is close enough.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky