My first ever attempt at smoking - qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

63falconht

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Sacramento
Seems the common theme is "it didn't happen without qview"

It happened!

On my first attempt smoking I selected two 4.5 - 5.0 lb chickens.

Brine consisted of: Sea Salt - Water - Apple Juice - fresh lime juice - 2 onions, 1.5 cloves of garlic - rosemary - thyme - black pepper - 2 golden delicious apples

10 hour brine time

Rub - Cinnamon, Rosemary - black pepper - salt - thyme - crushed garlic

I'll say that after about the first hour I didn't think these things had a chance of coming out good at all.  Temps were not nearly as easy to control as they were on my test during the week.  Temps today were in the low 70s, light breeze with some sprinkles.

Glad I bought an oven thermometer.  The one in the hood was between 25-50 degrees off depending on actual temp.  It actually fluctuated.

Brinkmann 810-3821-S Dual Function with side firebox

Heat source was Cowboy brand lump charcoal and apple wood chunks from Apple Hill here in Northern California.

I finished them on the grill to crisp up the skin some.  bout 15 minutes total.

I really had to stay on top of it today.  I couldn't keep the temp high enough with the intake all the way open.  I actually had to crack the side door a little bit to increase air flow.  Couldn't keep it over 250* otherwise.  But with it open, temps were all over the place.  I went inside for a minute and came out and the hood was reading almost 350*.  This was about 30 minutes in.  So I sat with it for the next 4 hours. 

I pictured a very creosote rich flavor and was really not looking forward to the end product until about hour 3.

The wife and I enjoyed some chicken sandwiches for lunch then chicken, roasted reds and grilled asparagus for dinner.

At the end of the day I would give the process 1 star and the result 3 stars.  But I'm encouraged and will be less all over the place with the flavors next time.

Dang good looking chicken from down in south Louisiana.

Nice work!  Keep working with your rig -- you'll start to figure a few of it's quirks out soon and be able to leave it for good stretches after a while.  I can leave mine for 45-60 min. at a time.

I generally like to keep things simple with my smokes.  With chicken & turkey it's salt, pepper, butter + garlic powder rub, and smoke with wine-soaked wood chips.  No brine -- ever.  If we're feeling frisky, I'll drape several slices of bacon across the top of the bird(s).  And don't forget to catch those liquid love drippings for a killer gravy!  And keep the stripped carcasses for a mind blowing soup!  The smoke that keeps on giving!!!

Nice work!  Keep working with your rig -- you'll start to figure a few of it's quirks out soon and be able to leave it for good stretches after a while.  I can leave mine for 45-60 min. at a time.

I generally like to keep things simple with my smokes.  With chicken & turkey it's salt, pepper, butter + garlic powder rub, and smoke with wine-soaked wood chips.  No brine -- ever.  If we're feeling frisky, I'll drape several slices of bacon across the top of the bird(s).  And don't forget to catch those liquid love drippings for a killer gravy!  And keep the stripped carcasses for a mind blowing soup!  The smoke that keeps on giving!!!
I thought about the bacon idea.  wasn't sure how I was gonna get that flavor in there. 

Great looking birds and interesting recipe. I love spatchcocked birds. They seem to cook more evenly

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky