My first Chorizo !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’m leaning that way due to no other options - really don’t want to spend 20k in a system- what makes them that much by the way!? Makes no sense at all to me ..

Those same cabinets 2 months later -
00E59EFF-1038-41C6-85A1-8DE7F7A87C70.jpeg

Geez I'm jealous, I'd love to do this butt......
Well I've got nothin hanging under ^^^
Maybe someday, just not now too many other irons in the fires.

:emoji_heart_eyes: the kitchen!!

I’m leaning that way due to no other options - really don’t want to spend 20k in a system- what makes them that much by the way!? Makes no sense at all to me ..

My thinking exactly. Choices are really limited, for whatever reason - I guess there isn't a huge market for curing cabinets. No demand = no supply. That was one of the reasons I never got into meat curing before - I couldn't buy an affordable one and didn't understand how easy it to do a functional homemade version.
I can see with that kitchen you put in, you value quality materials and equipment. I'm thinking that you could find a cabinet maker or sheet metal shop that could do a custom case for the controllers (and possibly hide the wires too) that would look pretty sheik and fall right into the theme of the rest of the kitchen. Anyways, it's just a thought. Good luck!

I think on the contrary, that you can repurpose an existing cooler, like in the video.

I've built more than enough restaurants across the US to know what I saw for the possibilities, No?

I think on the contrary, that you can repurpose an existing cooler, like in the video.

I've built more than enough restaurants across the US to know what I saw for the possibilities, No?
That's what I was suggesting, though I apparently didn't say it outright here - though that was my purpose when I linked the video on the last page.

Yeah that video put me over the edge and I ordered a cooler box and the stuff off Amazon to get rolling this weekend , hope to get it done Friday and get it down to temp to move the larger sausages Saturday or Sunday .

Thanks to everyone for the continued feedback and for keeping the economy going !

Yeah that video put me over the edge and I ordered a cooler box and the stuff off Amazon to get rolling this weekend , hope to get it done Friday and get it down to temp to move the larger sausages Saturday or Sunday .

Thanks to everyone for the continued feedback and for keeping the economy going !
Keeping the economy going - you couldn't have said it better. My credit card bill was massive last month from all my "must haves" that I didn't originally know I needed. I'll bet your chamber looks and works perfectly once you've got it dialed in.

FYI...do not use foam on the hole that you run your probe cords through. You will need to periodically remove the probes to calibrate them.

Last edited:
Also, for anyone else reading this thread....drilling a hole through the side will ONLY work for commercial units. Most home models have the condenser coils running in the side of the unit and if you drill, you may hit one of the lines.

I’m hoping to drill through the back and put controls there .

I’ll have to noodle on the foam thing - don’t want to create a dew point issue but will take your comment with appreciation and under advisement!

Got a pretty nice unit ..

E8BCCAA1-0B52-419E-83E4-E77B3ABB3EAE.jpeg
C4C6ED07-1374-47E5-B99F-5244C6AD003F.jpeg

Nice unit.
I would stuff the hole with a very clean towel. That way you can remove it when necessary... or, run just the thin dia. probe wire under the door seal... that is what I did.

Hey folks... I didn't really know where to plunk this comment....
I am graduating up to a 2 door cooler retrofit for my drying chamber and I am thinking of selling off my single unit.
It is a Beverageaire unit and has all of the normal changes, (fan removed and replaced with a computer fan, the hole in the side) and the two Inkbird controllers. Unit works great. Anybody think someone would be interested in buying?

Also, for anyone else reading this thread....drilling a hole through the side will ONLY work for commercial units. Most home models have the condenser coils running in the side of the unit and if you drill, you may hit one of the lines.

You did a nice post on your original curing chamber build on how to find the refrigerant lines in the sides of a home model.. I did use the alcohol and cornstarch method to locate mine and that method you described worked perfectly. In the end though, I could see no downside in going through the front door, which won out over only a very slight possibility of being wrong when poking a hole through the side.

I'd put that unit up for sale on Craigslist. I don't do Facebook, but my wife is a member of several local groups that put up listings there. They always get a lot of looks. Some avenue like that might work out as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky