My first Chorizo !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, done for the day - now to get the humidifier hooked up

9E3291A1-F541-45E6-8558-A7307AF0F947.jpeg

You can look up the brand - steak ager I think - it’s got a humidifier built in - made for dry aging steaks and sausage as well.

All done for the day and tented up..

82ED488A-C876-44AF-990A-AE34A1543A7F.jpeg
EB7A58E8-400B-44F3-88C7-8D8AAF063CF3.jpeg
086B070C-9427-41DD-97B8-159D7FB68142.jpeg

What recipe are you using? Or are you just winging it? I'm thinking of making some Spanish Chorizo for my next salami project....
This is all fun to watch. Lordy, what a kitchen!
Marianski only lists 1 chorizo with starter culture, as the Spanish don’t historically use any.
Chistorra ( with culture)
lean pork 700g
Back fat, jowls hard fat 300g
salt 28g
cure#1, 2.5g
dextrose2.0g
sugar 3.0g
pimenton sweet 25g
pimenton hot 2.0g
garlic 3.5g
T-Spx culture 0.12g

Reactions: SCBBQ
My outdoor kitchen - South Carolina .. Love to cook and this Charcuterie is a big challenge ! I love it ..

Cripes, I logged just so I could say kitchen of the year!!! Incredible--looks like a wonderful place to work!!! Your first batch of chorizo looks wonderfully tasty--can't wait to see how this new variety batch works out!

Reactions: indaswamp and SCBBQ
Thanks - pretty ambitious batch with two cultures , 4 recipes and large format casings that I haven’t done before . Hopefully I don’t screw it up too much , time will tell!

And was stoked with how the first batch turned out minus the spice level and shrinkage , both of which drove the modifications to this batch.

You've got me curious what the readout on this display is indicating, only because your humidity should be 80-plus percent (IMO ), preferably closer to 90% for a ferment, but yet it appears to be 40% despite all the tenting with plastic. I'm not trying to second guess your work because your fist salami attempt turned out much better than mine. I'm just trying to how you're moving through the early stages of the ferment.

You've got me curious what the readout on this display is indicating, only because your humidity should be 80-plus percent (IMO ), preferably closer to 90% for a ferment, but yet it appears to be 40% despite all the tenting with plastic. I'm not trying to second guess your work because your fist salami attempt turned out much better than mine. I'm just trying to how you're moving through the early stages of the ferment.
M&M, that is the room thermostat reading.... I'm sure the RH% is 90% or better inside the plastic tent around the salamis....

I considered that but I see that wire going into the plastic tenting so ..... you know. Does LA or SC ever have humidity levels in the 40% range? I lived in Jacksonville FL for 3 years in my Navy days and I can't remember it ever being dry down to 40% humidity, but that was a long time ago and my memories are often more made-up than accurate. Still, 40% humidity sounds more like the desert SW,

Last edited:
Humidity inside the tent is 90+. . I had humidity gauges inside the tent the last time but they broke , literally, from too much humidity lol.

For anyone following the thread, I just went back and saw I stated that I started with 10 pounds of meat.. This batch was 46.5 pounds plus 4 pounds of Iberico fatback.. .. I was doing 4 batches for different recipes, 3 of which were 10 pounds each, but wasn't clear..

I considered that but I see that wire going into the plastic tenting so ..... you know. Does LA or SC ever have humidity levels in the 40% range? I lived in Jacksonville FL for 3 years in my Navy days and I can't remember it ever being dry down to 40% humidity, but that was a long time ago and my memories are often more made-up than accurate. Still, 40% humidity sounds more like the desert SW,

The wire going into the tent is the power wire for the humidifier inside the tent.

With the website down, I wasn’t able to post updates , but as of now it’s all in the curing cabinets and all looks good.. will be a long 3-4 months !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky