My First Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I figured that must have played a part. I’m now sitting in my dad chair feeling regret eating a full slice. It was so crazy rich. My wife loved it and she had 3. I’ve been eating so many fruits and veg on this diet I think that rich brisket threw me off kilter.

It’s now all getting vacuum wrapped and napping in the freezer until make giant pot of brisket chili at Christmas. I’m looking forward to that.

If I do another I’ll be sure to let it ride a bit higher. Tomorrow I smoke 2 hams I’ve been brining in some Pop’s. I’m an expert at that. I might even turn one of the shoulders into pulled ham and let it ride.
I think you done real good for sure. Keep after it.

I use to have inconsistent results with brisket until I upped the smokehouse temp. from 225-230*F to 250-265*F.....and brisket is about the only time I use a water pan anymore. Helps push the brisket through the stall faster with the higher humidity in the cook chamber.

Wow Sven, it looks absolutely outstanding. Appreciate your honest commentary but you're gonna have a hard time convincing me that it's less than perfect. that looks as beautiful as any I've ever seen.

Robert

Reactions: Sven Svensson
I agree with Robert! That's a great looking piece of meat....would never know it was your first.
Great bark and smoke ring !
I'd have at least 3 slices !!

Keith

Wow Sven, it looks absolutely outstanding. Appreciate your honest commentary but you're gonna have a hard time convincing me that it's less than perfect. that looks as beautiful as any I've ever seen.

Robert
Thank for the kind words, Robert. Next time I’ll let it go over 104 no matter how squishy it is. It did look and taste great. It was every bit as richly smoked as the best briskets I’ve has. The extended smoke tube really makes a difference. I’ll give it another shot in a few months.

I agree with Robert! That's a great looking piece of meat....would never know it was your first.
Great bark and smoke ring !
I'd have at least 3 slices !!

Keith
Thanks, Keith. I’ll go at it again at some point but there’s a lot more meat chunks in my freezer that need attention before I get to that. I’ve had some Picanha in there forever I need to get on the rotisserie.

If this bombs then it may be my last. Haha! Or I might get angry and start making one a week.

Well Sven , it did not bomb. Yes you say you had some troubles .
But in the end first brisket , great meal and it is all about learning.
( even though I also got confused on the 2 briskets on the same day )

It's all good Sven.

David

Brisket Virgin alert, Brisket Virgin alert. Brisket Virgin alert

So you finally popped the old brisket cherry Sven. Nice Job it looks fantastic on my screen. Like other firsts - it's not always great, but it's memorable.

Point for sure
Chris

The paper is best paired with a bit of cheese, but is quite nice on its own. I may or may not be joking this time.....

I like my brisket a little south of what most folks here like, a little chew is not a bad thing imo. Not a lot of chew, but a little. Yours looks like it needed another 30-40 mins of heat (or maybe 5 hours - all briskets are different) but ain't no shame in what you turned out.

For #1, it looks pretty darn tasty. I'd much rather have one just a little under than over and mushy. The under ones can be chopped up fine and mixed with some fatty point and makes a dang tasty sandwich with just enough SBR's to help it hold together (cook it all together in the oven for half an hour or 45 mins). Only time I'd ever consider sauce on brisket- with burnt ends being the exception.

I know you have your heart set on chili but make a little stroganoff with some of it too. Trust me on that!

The paper is best paired with a bit of cheese, but is quite nice on its own. I may or may not be joking this time.....

I like my brisket a little south of what most folks here like, a little chew is not a bad thing imo. Not a lot of chew, but a little. Yours looks like it needed another 30-40 mins of heat (or maybe 5 hours - all briskets are different) but ain't no shame in what you turned out.

For #1, it looks pretty darn tasty. I'd much rather have one just a little under than over and mushy. The under ones can be chopped up fine and mixed with some fatty point and makes a dang tasty sandwich with just enough SBR's to help it hold together (cook it all together in the oven for half an hour or 45 mins). Only time I'd ever consider sauce on brisket- with burnt ends being the exception.

I know you have your heart set on chili but make a little stroganoff with some of it too. Trust me on that!
I’m also thinking about some Detroit-style brisket pizza with a little sauerkraut, pepper jack, maybe some hamburger dills? I like the chopped sandwich idea. I didn’t think about that option. Thanks.

Well by golly you did awesome in my book! And Jim's pics as well lol! And that brisket chili sounds fabulous!

Ryan

Not saying we have all been where you're at, but I'll bet you the majority of us have. It's just hard to believe that it's not ready after it's been in the smoker for 12+ hours, so we assume we are doing something wrong, and it really is ready. You'll know better next time and wait until it passes the toothpick test throughout. SmokinEdge nailed the problem for you, that's good advice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky