My First Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
After years of putting this off I just fired up the Yoder and put on my first brisket. I injected it with Wagyu and a bit of Butcher’s BBQ Injection. I slathered it with Wagyu and the rub was a good dusting of Penzey’s pepper and Sofa King rub. It went in at 10 pm Pacific. I’m using Lumberjack Competition Blend in the hopper and in an extend Amaz-n tube for a little extra kick. I’ll be up early to check in it. I’m anticipating a 16-hour cook at 225. I’ll wrap in butcher paper with some more Waygu at the stall. Tune in later to see if this works or if I messed up a perfectly good prime brisket. 401E0887-88DC-45B0-8F05-1DAEE9B4CA4D.jpeg

42C1F54C-B440-4828-8B12-05A2C6C15BC0.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats on making your first brisket! I think you Will find them less intimidating over time.

planning ahead - you may try running the Yoder on low for an hour or two for more smoke then kick it up to 275. This cuts hours off the cook. I can start most at 0600 and eat it for supper same day.

Looks like a good start so far! Oh and 1000% on the holding it @ 170 till serving it! I do mine like sandy @265 and the hold at temp after is a must do operation! However, for the 225 game you are right on pace to have a nice din din!

I'm in...be checking back in the morning. Let me be the first to congratulate you on your first brisket! I highly recommend a minimum 4 hour hold @150-170*F once you pull it off the smoker.
I was planning on the towel/cooler method but I’m open to what I’m assuming is a hold in an oven? Also, after it hits perfection and I take it off I unwrap and let it cool off a bit, right?

Reactions: indaswamp
Congrats on making your first brisket! I think you Will find them less intimidating over time.

planning ahead - you may try running the Yoder on low for an hour or two for more smoke then kick it up to 275. This cuts hours off the cook. I can start most at 0600 and eat it for supper same day.
That’s good advice. What about bumping it up now that it’s wrapped?

Oh if you have time just keep it at 225 not sure what time you have left you already earned the over night cook no need to change to the lazy way….lol

Reactions: Sven Svensson
FACA635E-7DE4-421C-9B63-B984AF52AC3C.jpeg
Here’s what I found at 7 am. Tube exhausted and fully burned, Brisket dark and glistening with Wagyu, rich smoke smell, and…
3FF1D73B-FB01-452B-BFEA-B4C5685BD563.jpeg
…my giant bowl of brisket fat rendered into smoked tallow. I might even nibble on the meat bits I find during postmortem.

Point is 183 and flat is 175. A few more hours to go and I added a couple of friends. I’m doing a brisket smoke on a tri-tip and I’ve had a couple on-sale cheapie corned beef slabs in the freezer since April. More on those later.

F1E9949A-86DC-4E6F-AD66-E49A5D620860.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky