My first Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

justbbqjeff

Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Southern Maryland
Since I used a bunch of recipes, tips, pointers and pictures from the forum I figured it would only be fair to post my results. My first time doing the butt and I was really happy with the outcome.
It was an eighteen hour cook at 225degrees. The bark was nice and dark, the flavor was consistent all the way through. Nice and juicy with no drying out. I call success ! :grilling_smilie:
[ATTACHMENT=944][ATTACHMENT=945]image.jpg (273k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT]

Wow, 18 hours. My wife would have killed me.  No photos?? (Oops, just saw the links)  So how much did it weigh? What Smoker? Did you wrap it?

Last edited:
I used a large Big Green Egg. I didn't wrap it like I will next time but did have a "stall" for quite awhile. Pulled the 8.2 lb butt off at an internal temp of 195, I couldn't wait any longer. Let her rest for about an hour then hand pulled it all apart. Made a fined pushing sauce but never used it. :biggrin:

I used a large Big Green Egg. I didn't wrap it like I will next time but did have a "stall" for quite awhile. Pulled the 8.2 lb butt off at an internal temp of 195, I couldn't wait any longer. Let her rest for about an hour then hand pulled it all apart. Made a fined pushing sauce but never used it. :biggrin:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky