My first Beef Belly Bacon!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snakehead

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Round Rock, TX
I've been curing my own pork bacon for awhile now, but my good friend tx smoker tx smoker told me about his Beef Belly saga and convinced me to give it a try. Well, I was able to score some CPM beef belly from him and did give it a try and I've got to say, it's pretty dang good! I've tried a few different flavors of bacon, from plain, peppered and maple, but everyone (especially myself, who really matters!) prefers my Cajon bacon! I make my own blackened seasoning and I used that for my bacon. It's ah-mazing!

I thought I took pics before and after I applied the curing salt and seasonings, but it turns out I didn't. That said, what I did was added the right amount of cure (I built an iPhone app called Cure Calculator to calculate the amount of cure needed based on the weight of the meat awhile back) along with my seasoning in a bowl and mixed it up real good. I then applied it all like you'd normally apply a rub to all sides of the meat. In this case, I measured 2 different amounts of cure and mixed each one with the seasoning, one Cajon and one Black Pepper. After letting it cure in one of my refrigerators for about 2 weeks (about twice the time it takes for pork bacon), I took it out, rinsed each beef belly under cool water really good to get everything off of it. I then patted each one dry with paper towels, the re-applied just the seasoning to each beef belly and let it sit in the refrigerator again over night. The next day I put them on my Rectec smoker and smoked them until they got a nice color to them, about 4 1/2 hours.
IMG_2084.jpeg

After smoking them, I let them rest in the refrigerator again over night and then brought them out to slice. Here's the Cajon seasoned beef bacon.
IMG_2093.jpeg

IMG_2095.jpeg

And here's the Black Peppered beef bacon.
IMG_2092.jpeg
IMG_2099.jpeg

And finally vac sealed them for the freezer so I can pull it out as I need it.
IMG_2108.jpeg
IMG_2102.jpeg

All in all, it's pretty darn good! Not sure if I prefer it over the pork bacon yet, but it's pretty darn good!! Thanks again to my friend tx smoker tx smoker for all his help!

Attachments

• IMG_2084.jpeg
    IMG_2084.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 0
It looks great! I don't like it better than pork bacon but as you say, it sure is good stuff!

Ryan

Looks really good Gerald!! You got some amazing color on that stuff, that's for sure. Like you, I won't say that I prefer it over pork bacon, but I do like the stuff a LOT and it certainly is nice having both. you can mix things up a bit more. Try bacon cheese burgers or a BLT with the beef. Those I guarantee you'll love.

Robert

• Wow
Reactions: JLeonard
I love beef bacon. That look great bud! I am trying to decide if I want to do this with a brisket I got at 2.49/lb. You might have solidified that in my mind now 😎

I'm ready to get home! I have a 12lb wagyu naval from Meat N Bone on my front porch (was just delivered) just for this type of project! Thanks for the inspiration!

Lucky man. Looks good. I’m in the process of setting up a wholesale account. Looking forward to it. Surprised how reasonable price jt js.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky