Motorized meat mixer recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wesir

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 28, 2014
Greenwood, IN
I've been using the LEM 20lb version for a few years and am looking to upgrade to one that can be hooked up to a grinder since most the time I'm doing the entire process solo. My MES can probably fit 15-20lb max so I was looking at getting the "improved" LEM 25lb tilt mixer and a #12 grinder to drive it, the one thing that I'm seeing though is that when LEM added their "big bite" technology they removed the reverse option for the motor so the mixer would only be able to spin the paddles in one direction. Anyone know if running it in reverse actually matters or will I be fine without it? If so what are some better options for a tilt mixer at that size range? Thanks

I'm cheap I use a food grade "6" gallon bucket and an S.S. mortar mixer on my drill motor.
You can vary the speed as needed, and I don't have a bunch of money wrapped up in something that I only use once or twice a year, and it does an awesome job!!!:emoji_metal::emoji_thumbsup:

I'm cheap I use a food grade "6" gallon bucket and an S.S. mortar mixer on my drill motor.
You can vary the speed as needed, and I don't have a bunch of money wrapped up in something that I only use once or twice a year, and it does an awesome job!!!:emoji_metal::emoji_thumbsup:
Great idea...Now I'll have to find a SS mortar mixer.

I might have to look into that or if I can somehow adapt my corded drill to drive the mixer and then forward/reverse becomes simple.

Reactions: forktender
I might have to look into that or if I can somehow adapt my corded drill to drive the mixer and then forward/reverse becomes simple.
I set the bucket on the ground and stand over it while holding it in place with my feet. Then mix it up like you would mix a bucket of mortar. Pretty redneck, but it works great even for meat that you have to whip up pretty good. It's quicker than any meat mixer than I have seen in used.

Great idea...Now I'll have to find a SS mortar mixer.
I used the same chrome plated one for years until a buddy gave me a S.S. one after I made him up a few huge batches of sweet and hot Elk Italian sausage. If I had to buy one I would buy a plated one just because of the cost. Amazon sells a bunch of them.

Reactions: PPG1
Used #12 LEM with 25# mixer. Our grinder does not have reverse mod and was never an issue. Mixer is nice, but PITA to clean unless you have a big slop sink. Gave it to my brother who uses #8 LEM to operate it.

Used #12 LEM with 25# mixer. Our grinder does not have reverse mod and was never an issue. Mixer is nice, but PITA to clean unless you have a big slop sink. Gave it to my brother who uses #8 LEM to operate it.

Thanks, I ran into the same issue with my current one of it being a major PITA to clean, the new version seems to be stamped out of a single piece of metal which supposedly makes it easier to clean, I ended up ordering just the 25lb tilt mixer and am going to see if I can save myself the cost of a grinder and adapt a corded drill to work with it. Good to know that you didn't have any issues running in only one direction.

I run a grinder - mixer combo, got all my stuff from Cabelas over the years. I'm a one man operation with worn out shoulders, the mixer and foot pedal make it all pretty easy, clean-up is a pain. The fact that it tilts helps quite a bit. RAY
009.jpg

Reactions: forktender and PPG1
In my experience, you really need to reverse the meat mixer. I run mine manually. I like you’re mixer option. I see nothing wrong with that at all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky