Mother Load of Honey Mushrooms!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Stopped by Dad's to check on my brother. He just finished up his engine replacement in his truck so I rode by to listen to it crank, drink a beer, and visit. After cranking the engine, Brother says, "Hey-go check out all those mushrooms in Dad's yard by the old oak tree."
IMG_20211021_132443310.jpg

IMG_20211021_132428937.jpg

At first glance, look like honey mushrooms to me. A quick look at mushroom I.D. was enough for me to pick them. I'm 99% sure these are Ringless Honey Mushrooms...(Armillaria Tabescens). Found on a dying oak tree growing from the roots. Flushes late summer, early fall. I'm doing a spore print now....will know more in 12 hours.
IMG_20211021_142514412.jpg

Filled up a Wal-mart bag. About 5-6# of shrooms...
IMG_20211021_134512448.jpg

These are known for anti-cancer properties and high anti-oxidant value.

Nice haul, my mouth is watering at the thought of sauteed shrooms.
Thanks Chilerelleno! Now I'm looking up recipes....

Man those look good. Hopefully after the test they're what you think they are.
Thanks moto! After doing more research, I'm now 99.99% certain. Just gotta wait 6-12 hours for the spore print to confirm. This yellow ringless honey mushroom is one of the more easily identifiable of the honey mushrooms.

Hope they are what they think they are, too. Just brought back 3.5 lbs of shrooms I thought were chantrelles from the mountains NE of Seattle. Turns out they were "woolly chantrelles" (sometimes called "scaly chantrelles").

They are not true chantrelles, and can cause nausea, indigestion, diarrhea, etc (though many people do eat them). I'm tossing them out.

Reactions: Plinsc
Have found different mushrooms in different areas and it has always scared me whether safe or not, so I pass.

Glad to hear they are safe. Stew? Is the flavor of those that Strong that they will stand up to a complex, boldly flavored stew? More delicate flavored Mushrooms, I like sauteed with Butter and maybe a bit of Sliced Garlic and fresh Thyme. My go to seasoning, Washington's Rich Brown Seasoning and Black Pepper,to taste. Good stuff similar to Beef Boullion Granules but Vegan if that matters. These than ride the top of a nice Pile of thin sliced Flank Steak! Great Beefy flavor and won't break the bank!...JJ

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
They say that these honey mushrooms are not the greatest as far as flavor. Ukranians and other eastern European countries love them though and make porgies with them.
Not the best sauteed. They have a slight slime released similar to okra, but not as bad. They say these mushrooms must be thoroughly cooked...minimum of 20 minutes. The flesh stays fairly firm and can handle being cooked in a stew. I saw a pork stew recommendation but decided to go with venison instead.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
"Stays fairly firm..."

Well that explains your Stew train of thought. Since they are common in Eastern European food...
Why not use Venison, Pork, Smoked Ham Hocks and Kielbasa in the National Dish of Poland...BIGOS!
A great Stew that freezes well. Most posted recipes are one maybe two meats and Kielbasa but traditionally, a Hunter'Stew is going to contain a mixed bag of meats. It has Sauerkraut and Mushrooms, typically amixof Dry and Fresh, but again depends on what you got. The long cook tenderizes the meat and really mellows the sharpness of the Sauerkraut. Bigos isn't a dish found commonly in the States, but worth the effort...JJ

Mushrooms are the fruiting body of the fungus. Each mushroom is capable of producing billions of spores (likes seeds, but different) that contain 1/2 the DNA to produce a new fungus. Each spore must join with another spore to form a complete DNA for a new fungus. The spores are on the gills of the mushroom. The spore print allows you to verify the color of the spore and helps to eliminate any look alikes. All toxic look alikes of the honey mushroom do not have creamy white spores.

Reactions: Mr. Zorg
Always good to use at least two contrasting color backgrounds, thus the foil and white paper.

There is a long list of traits to look for when properly identifying a mushroom. The spore print is one of them.

Cool info: this mushroom is capable of bio-luminescence on the top of the cap of the mushroom. There are short fine hairs on the cap that produce the chemical to produce light. This is one of the mushrooms responsible for the 'fox fire' light phenomena in forests...

Cool info: this mushroom is capable of bio-luminescence on the top of the cap of the mushroom. There are short fine hairs on the cap that produce the chemical to produce light. This is one of the mushrooms responsible for the 'fox fire' light phenomena in forests...
A few years backI had some shrooms in my woods that could be seen from the house at night. Freaked me out, I thought someone was back there with a light stick! Grabbed my pistol grip 870 and snuck up on....mushrooms. :emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky