Mortadella

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Len Poli recipe. I have made it a couple times.
so, does it recipe calls for pistachios? I am very well familiar with Italian food but I never heard of Pitacihios part of mortadela... it says pistachious optina....
I am not questioning you but rather I am looking to learn cuz, I never heard about pistachios in mortadela... it's just not old Italian school...

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
Like many other types of sausage and deli meats you can incorporate anything in the mix, back fat chunks, olives, pimento, peppercorns, pistachios. Just depends what you like. When i was in Germany they had 3 kinds. one with pistachios, one with just large chunks of back fat and one with peppercorns and olives. We didnt spend much time in Italy so i didnt get the chance to look at salumi/charcuterie goods.

Like many other types of sausage and deli meats you can incorporate anything in the mix, back fat chunks, olives, pimento, peppercorns, pistachios. Just depends what you like. When i was in Germany they had 3 kinds. one with pistachios, one with just large chunks of back fat and one with peppercorns and olives. We didnt spend much time in Italy so i didnt get the chance to look at salumi/charcuterie goods.
Thanks... I guess it is like everything else now a days.... hard to find original recipe.... And to be honest I'm not even sure mortadela is originally from Italy...

Check this out.

I do think it started in Italy, Bologna region.
Yes, you are correct.

Thanks... I guess it is like everything else now a days.... hard to find original recipe.... And to be honest I'm not even sure mortadela is originally from Italy...

Mortadella made in Bologna, Italy has pastachios and blanched back fat in it-it's the oldest recipe for Mortadella. It has PDO protected status.

JC, I have used the recipe @meatsandsausages.com before. It is good. I did not have any casing at the tie and just wrapped it a bunch of times with saran wrap and twisted to get tight on the ends, then zip-tied both ends.

This is a recipe that I copied from SMF quite awhile back. Don't remember the original poster, but I went without the pistachios and added in the wine. My Italian wife says it's better than any that we'd purchased in the grocery stores here.

Mortadella

10# Pork Butt
1/2 # Pork Fat
10 T. Non-fat dry milk
8 T. Corn syrup solids
1 T. ground coriander
1 T. ground Mace
1 T. white pepper
4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp paprika
6 T. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon or allspice
1 tsp cure #1
2 T. unflavored gelatin (Knox)
4 ounces good Italian wine (I used Apothic Red)
2 tsp whole black pepper

Divide pork fat into two groups. Cut one group into 1/4“ dice. Chill and set aside for later. Grind chilled meat and 1/2 of fat through medium plate. Add salt and cure, mix well then refrigerate for several hours to allow meat to cure. Add remainder of spices (except whole peppercorns) to meat and blend thoroughly. Regrind through smaller plate (3mm) adding 1/2 cup of ice water if
necessary. Add in cubed fat and peppercorns mixing well to disperse ingredients in the meat paste. Stuff into fibrous casing. Poach in 165° water until IT of 155 ° is reached. Ice bath to cool down. Chill very well before slicing thin.

1610767041121.png
1610767087751.png
1610767041121.png

1610767087751.png

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky