Mopping the meat, blocks the smoke to adhere,, yes/no?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If anyone said, "Don't change a thing".. They couldn't eat at my place.. Every smoke, every cook, I don't follow a recipe.. I change up every recipe just to try something different..

So what your saying Dave is your biggest consistency is Inconsistency? LOL! :confused: ;)
I tend to stray from the beaten path myself. Even when doing something known to me, I vary things up and taste test to adjust. (Like sneaking in Cyan pepper. Then hearing how good they are.) :D If they knew, they'd crap a long worm.

Reactions: HitManQ
I especially liked, "HEY !!! Don't add beer to that pot roast you are cooking... No one cooks with beer .... "

Holey Kee Rap that roast is good... What kind is it ??????

I change things up too but approach it scientifically and only change 1 thing at a time. That way, I can determine if it was worthwhile. I am not crazy about it but I keep notes. I have smoked long enough now to see a pattern emerge: I find rubs, sauces, injections, mopping, etc less critical. TBS, stable temps, and pulling at the right time are like 80% of success. I was convinced it was the other way around.

I change things up too but approach it scientifically and only change 1 thing at a time. That way, I can determine if it was worthwhile. I am not crazy about it but I keep notes. I have smoked long enough now to see a pattern emerge: I find rubs, sauces, injections, mopping, etc less critical. TBS, stable temps, and pulling at the right time are like 80% of success. I was convinced it was the other way around.

Exactly!!

Bear

On ribs, I only spritz (Braggs vinegar and honey mixture) right before I wrap in foil. I figure they've taken all the smoke they are going to take at that point.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky