1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Featured Montreal Smoked Meat

Discussion in 'Beef' started by knifebld, Sep 10, 2019.

1. knifebld

knifebld Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

After two weeks of, what I consider a fairly intense process, I finally packaged my MTL smoked meat! It was long, but very tasty! Shout out to @disco for the help of his website which I consulted on a few occasions!

Here's what I did:

1) Trimmed the brisket (in my case two full packers), removed pockets of hard fat and trimmed the fat cap a bit. Then separated the point from flat. Then cut into 5 to 6 pieces (the smaller pieces help me with the steaming process).

2) Used Disco's cure recipe (Prague powder, Kosher salt, cracked peppercorn, sugar, cracked coriander, powdered bay leaves, ground cloves)

3) Vacuum sealed and placed in the fridge. Flipped day and night for 10 days.

4) On day 11, I rinsed the meat off completely and soaked in a giant bin for 3 hours (changing the water every 30 minutes). Patted it dry and then applied a rub of the following spices; cracked black pepper, ground coriander, paprika, garlic & onion powder, dill weed, ground mustard, celery seed, and crushed red pepper. The plastic wrapped and back in the fridge.

5) On day 12, I smoked the meat at a temp of 215 with a little apple and maple (traditionally not supposed to smoke MSM with wood...but there's no fun in that!). Waited for the meat to hit an IT of 165. Let it cool on the counter and then back in plastic and in the fridge.

6) On day 13, I steamed the meat using a stove top metal steamer (pot & steamer basket). Steamed until an IT of 195 (took forever as I only had one pot ans steamer basket and about 10 pieces of meat!). Let it cool down and then back in the fridge.

7) On day 14 I was ready for slicing and vacuum sealing!

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

Taste was amazing! I am extremely pleased...but man what a lot of work! Going to stick with one brisket at a time from now on.

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. Sowsage

Sowsage Meat Mopper

That looks great! A lot of work but im sure it was well worth all the effort! Great job!

3. creek bottom

creek bottom Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Wow, that looks AMAZING! Well done!

4. xray

xray Master of the Pit

That looks awesome!!!

5. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That does look good . Nice work .

6. knifebld

Thanks. Hoping that when I sous vide from frozen that I get a nice moist texture....will see!

7. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Premium looking stuff knifebld.
    Salivating...

8. pushok2018

pushok2018 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Looks fantastic! Like!

9. jcam222

jcam222 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Amazing stuff!! Love getting in on trips to Montreal area. What is it typically smoked with if not wood?

10. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow - what a job! But it sounds like the work was worth it...LIKE!

11. siege

siege Smoking Fanatic

One benefit of doing 2 at a time is that it takes the same number days, but you get twice the finished product.(Which looks amazing ) Well done, A plus for effort.

12. siege

siege Smoking Fanatic

P.S. I love your tag line. I have a big plate, lots of room !

13. knifebld

Traditionalists would use charcoal only without adding any wood chunks...to avoid an overpowering smoke flavour. In my case I enjoy the smokey flavour and thus added some maple and apple. Turned out great, so was not dissapointed at all with my decision!

14. knifebld

Yup that was my initial thought too! Was even thinking about doing 3 or 4 briskets...but my wife would have had issues with me taking up the entire fridge for 2 weeks!

So will either have to do one at a time, or buy another fridge and find some way of steaming in bulk. Cheers!

15. knifebld

To be honest, after all that I didn't even make myself a sandwich! I did sample as I was slicing...but was too tired to make it a meal. Will pick up some nice rye and mustard over the weekend and do it right! ;)

Thanks Bud, appreciate it!

Thanks! :)

16. knifebld

LOL, Thanks!

Cheers bud, thanks for the like!

I hope it was worth it! Aside from sampling I didn't get a full sandwich yet. But my wife loved it...the spices give it a perfect kick. Thanks for the like!

17. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Awesome looking finish product and a ample stash to last for awhile. Looks nice but why will you SV?

Warren

18. knifebld

Thanks Warren. Would SV just to get it properly warmed up...could have warmed it up in a pot of boiling water too. For myself, our SV has been used mostly to warms my smoked meats up properly rather than using it as a cooker.

19. zwiller

zwiller Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks killer. Congrats on the ride!

20. cooker613

cooker613 Smoking Fanatic

Looks wonderful and I know a question and a comment. First what is Disco’s cure recipe? And second, when I did pastrami I would steam it also, until I got a sous vide
    Love msm almost as much a pastrami. I used to steam my pastrami after smoking, a real pain. But switched to the sous vide and never looked back. I smoke my pastrami until about 150 then into the into the bath for 30 hrs at 155. Comes out juicy and tender with just the right amount of smoke. Try it. The sous vide will make your life much easier.