Mondostart 2m culture

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Razor22

Original poster
Feb 3, 2022
Looking for some direction on using Mondostart 2m culture for the first time. Zero instructions on the package! Actually first time using cultures. Anyone have information of how much to use per lbs/kg? Is there a average culture to dextrose mix? Thanks!

MIMMSTCU562004-2_360x.jpg
0.5g per kilogram of meat paste.

If making a batch smaller than 5kilos, I would use 1gram for the first kilo then 0.5 for each kilo after that up to 5kg. Add the culture to 60mL of room temp. distilled water and let the culture wake up for about 20 minutes before adding to meat paste. Mix in after salt, spices and wine (if adding)....

These are the bacteria in Mondostart 2M:

Ingredients: Lactobacillus sakei, Staphylococcus carnosus, Staphylococcus xylosus

Lactobacillus sakei is a medium fast fermenting bacteria with bio-protective properties. Ferment 72-80*F; 90-95%RH.
I would recommend 0.3-0.5% dextrose which is 3-5g./kg.....depending on starting pH.
Try to keep the pH above 5.0 for the Staph. bacteria to work efficiently.

Making 20 lbs of Chorizo.
Watch how much dextrose you add or the pH will drop to low giving you a sour product. Chorizo typically uses a lot of dried ground paprika pepper powder. Paprika powder contains 10% sugars by weight so take that into account when figuring your dextrose amount.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky