Momma Gauthier's Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rgautheir20420

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
Crest Hill, IL (Chicagoland)
Ok. So this is a recipe that my mother has used as long as I can tell. It's pretty simple, but incredibly delicious....I just made it!

Ingredient List:

1.25 C of fat

1.25 C of AP flour

4 onions

2 bell peppers

3 stalks of celery

5 lbs of chicken (I used a 5 lb package of chicken thighs)

.5 lbs of Andouille (I used 1lb of my homemade stuff)

16 cups of water (Mom didn't have a quart measuring vessel on hand)

1 good sized bunch of green onions

1 cup of fresh chopped parsley

Salt and Pepper to taste

The first thing you'll need to do is have a nice heavy/large pot and salt and pepper and brown off the chicken thighs. You can use whichever whatever type of fat you like. They all can produce different flavor profiles.

Pull the browned chicken and put it to the side. At this time, you need to pour off the oil from the pot into a measuring glass to confirm your 1.25 C and return it to the pot and add in your flour. I run it through the sifter into the pot to make sure there are no clumps. At this point, your making your Roux. It's simply the combination of flour and fat. On a low heat, continually mix the roux until it achieve the color you like. The darker it goes the more complex flavor you'll get from the flour as it browns. 

Beginning of the Roux

After about 10 minutes.

Holy Trinity

I make a nice dark roux. Once it's at the color you like, mix in your chopped veggies, the onion, celery, and bell peppers (Holy Trinity). Give this a cook for about 5 minutes. You're really not trying to draw any liquid out or anything of that sort. I feel that a few minutes with the veggies actually darkens up the roux a bit more and I like that. 

Notice the color of the roux that is mixed in the veggies.

After the 5 or so minutes, mix all of your water in. The water needs to be cold. As I've actually learned from Bearcarver, the liquid being added to a roux needs to be the opposite temperature or it'll break....thanks!

Now you'll bring your pot up to a boil, add your chicken back in, and simmer for 1 hour. Once the hour is up, kill the heat and remove the chicken. Let the chicken and pot liquid cool for 30 minutes and then pull the chicken into chunks (not shredded). Take a ladle and scoop out some of the fat that has now gathered on the top of the liquid in the pot. Trust me, I no it's fat and that means good, but it's more like it cooking oil that your scooping out than fat from a piggie that delicious. It tastes like your eating the oil you fry your chicken in. Not good.

At this point, add the chicken back along with the chopped parsley and green onion and Andoiulle and keep the heat on low. We aren't cooking everything, but rather we are allowing the flavors to meld together. Andouille is a sausage that leaches amazing flavor into whatever meal it's used in. 

Done! Typically served over white rice, but to be honest I leave the rice and just eat the gumbo. It leaves more room for seconds and thirds!

Any questions please feel free to ask. Thanks for checking it and don't be afraid to give it a try.

My recipe is very similar to RG's

2 C. Oil

2 C  Flour (seasoned with 2 tsp. Salt, 2 tsp. pepper, and 2 tsp. Cayenne)

7 LB of Chicken thighs and legs

2 LB Andouille Sauasage Cut into 1/2 inch pieces

4 Onions (Large) diced

3 Bell Peppers diced

6 stalks of celery (Make sure to use the tender inner baby leaves) diced

16 C homemade (or store bought) Chicken stock (Stock....NOT Broth)

1 Tbs Pepper

1 Tbs Cayenne Pepper

2 tsp White pepper

2 tsp Salt

Add Andouille to heated pot and sautee till for 7 minutes.  Remove from pan and let stand.  Add 2 C oil (to the rendered oil of the sausage) in large deep pot and heat to 375F.  Coat chicken in seasoned flour (shaking off excess) and fry the chicken for approximately 6 minutes a side.  Do in batches till done.  Set aside

Add flour( I use the seasoned flour that's left over from the chicken dredging) to the oil and make a roux.  Cook over medium high heat for approximately 25 minutes (stirring constantly) or until a deep brick red in color.  Add vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes until translucent (do not brown). Add Chicken Stock and stir using a wire wisk to avoid lumps.  Add back in the Andouille and add the spices.  Cook for 1 hour.  As this is simmering de-bone he chicken and cut into 1/2 inch cubes and add to the gumbo (YES skin and ALL)  

Taste for seasoning.  Add more cayenne if you like it hotter.  Taste for salt.  Adjust to your liking.  Serve over steamed rice and enjoy.  The stock should have thickened enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.

Next time I make this I will post a step by step.  If you need any pointers feel free to PM me or ask away

Scott

Last edited:
Nice , I suggest anyone trying this , stay with your 'Roux" . It scortches quickly , constant stirring with a wooden spoon is suggested. I like my Roux rather dark , like coffee .

Have fun and . . .

Nice , I suggest anyone trying this , stay with your 'Roux" . It scortches quickly , constant stirring with a wooden spoon is suggested. I like my Roux rather dark , like coffee .

Have fun and . . .
This is a VERY good point.  Also be aware of this.....the darker the roux the less thickening power it has.   If you burn your roux you MUST not use it......start over or the dish will be ruined. 

Scott

It’s not hard to make a roux and don’t be intimidated with making one……Just be extremely cautious when doing it for your first time….. Its 400+ degrees….it is sticky and will burn any skin it comes in contact with…….. Be ready once you get to the color that you are looking for, add your veggies, to stop the darkening process …… SB

It’s not hard to make a roux and don’t be intimidated with making one……Just be extremely cautious when doing it for your first time….. Its 400+ degrees….it is sticky and will burn any skin it comes in contact with…….. Be ready once you get to the color that you are looking for, add your veggies, to stop the darkening process …… SB
Agree it's not a hard thing to do BUT it can be intimidating to someone new trying it.  Getting the dark dark roux correct is much harder when first starting out.

Scott

My recipe is very similar to RG's

2 C. Oil

2 C  Flour (seasoned with 2 tsp. Salt, 2 tsp. pepper, and 2 tsp. Cayenne)

7 LB of Chicken thighs and legs

2 LB Andouille Sauasage Cut into 1/2 inch pieces

4 Onions (Large) diced

3 Bell Peppers diced

6 stalks of celery (Make sure to use the tender inner baby leaves) diced

16 C homemade (or store bought) Chicken stock (Stock....NOT Broth)

1 Tbs Pepper

1 Tbs Cayenne Pepper

2 tsp White pepper

2 tsp Salt

Add Andouille to heated pot and sautee till for 7 minutes.  Remove from pan and let stand.  Add 2 C oil (to the rendered oil of the sausage) in large deep pot and heat to 375F.  Coat chicken in seasoned flour (shaking off excess) and fry the chicken for approximately 6 minutes a side.  Do in batches till done.  Set aside

Add flour( I use the seasoned flour that's left over from the chicken dredging) to the oil and make a roux.  Cook over medium high heat for approximately 25 minutes (stirring constantly) or until a deep brick red in color.  Add vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes until translucent (do not brown). Add Chicken Stock and stir using a wire wisk to avoid lumps.  Add back in the Andouille and add the spices.  Cook for 1 hour.  As this is simmering de-bone he chicken and cunt into 1/2 inch cubes and add to the gumbo (YES skin and ALL)  

Taste for seasoning.  Add more cayenne if you like it hotter.  Taste for salt.  Adjust to your liking.  Serve over steamed rice and enjoy.  The stock should have thickened enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.

Next time I make this I will post a step by step.  If you need any pointers feel free to PM me or ask away

Scott
Scott- I am not the grammar police but I got a pretty good laugh out of your typo! 
laugh1.gif

I hate the smell of napham while cooking a roux!! Almost as bad as Pralines!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky