Mold on the inner surface of grill and inside of cover

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
I pulled the cover off last night of my charcoal offset to see white patches on inside of grill.
I've seen several different solutions - fire it up hot (I have charcoal not gas), use a bleach solution, use all white vinegar, use white vinegar/water solution.

Suggestions?

THis was 2nd no-go start to season out of 2 tries Last week too windy!

I haven't had any mold issues with my smokers or grills yet, but I would suggest a hot burnout - as hot as you can get the smoker. Then scrub it with a cleaner like Simply Green. Be sure to wear a good mask while cleaning. You don't want to breath in any of the spores that made it thru the burnout. After the final rinse I would burn it out again.

Chris

I've had it inside grills that have sat in the rain with a ripped cover. I've opened them up, lighty sprayed with vinegar (I always have apple vinegar ready for spritzing) then let them dry out overnight in the garage or dry patio. Then give it a semi-serious cleaning...if it doesn't smell musty, you're probably alright, but a simple burn-out is a good idea. Molds/mildews are heartier than bacteria but 200F will kill anything. In other words, just wait a little longer than usual after start-up before adding your food. Which is probably good advice for any outdoor cooker that's seen damp weather.

Reactions: bbqjefff
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky