mods+patience=mmm mmm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikey2gunz

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Williamsburg, IA
Smoked (Hickory and Cherry):
2 Racks Baby Backs & 1 Beer Can Chicken

Results:
Ribs- Flavorful AND tender; Finally. Best yet .
Chicken (beer can, brined)- Too full to eat any. Tonights dinner! Will advise.

Reason: Mods and Method

Mods:
1-Removed two plugs at top/right to allow for better reverse smoke flow.
2-Added two baking sheets full of water to spread the heat.

Method:
1-Mustard plus rub, night before.
2-Modified 321 (2.75/2.50/.75ish) with Apple Juice Wrap
3-Mopped w/sauce during .75
4-Added oven thermometers for more accuarate grate temperature readings.
5-Cooked between 210* and 220* with few temp spikes.
6-Pre-heated the wood atop the firebox again, boy am I SOLD on that.

I cannot wait to try this again with additional mods and apple wood.
Can anyone tell me how good apple really is? This cherry is so dang good it's incredible. If apple is better I'm gonna cry.......

Mike

don't want too make you bawl but if i had enough apple wood that would be my main wood,,i like cherry but imho apple beats it hands down

Mike -

There all good. Besides now you'll have an excuse to try it all over again, and again and again. Just think how many woods are out there!
PDT_Armataz_01_14.gif

I did a pork loin today with a mix of apple and hickory. I thought about going all apple but have not used it before and didn't want to ruin my loin. Next time I will go all apple. Nice sweet smoke flavor.

Hmmmmmmmmm that reminds me I was supposed to get a call from the apple orchard to help them prune for the wood ... gotta call them.
PDT_Armataz_01_20.gif

i second that...

i like using hickory and mesquite every now and then. Hands down though my preferred and most used wood is apple.. havent found anything that doesnt go with the apple flavor

I've got an apple source nearby and will be utilizing soon.
When I preheat the cherry, it is impossible for me NOT to pick up a log and bring it to my nose. It's heaven..... If apple is anything like cherry, it'll be awesome.

The chicken was pretty darn good. Will use a rub on it next time...the brine didn't give a blast of flavor like expected though still delicious, not overpowering.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky